Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: I\'m back in se-attle again

Whatever guys. I raise this pre-flop all day. Although I should add limping hurts my soul.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM

preflop raise is meh. add 1 or 2 more limpers and it's good. Now that you did raise, on this board, with 3 limpers AND the blinds I don't see the value of your flop bet. Are we really taking down this pot UI enough times vs 5 others on this board?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM

I'd take a shot at my str8 flush by checking. ON the river it is probably a fold unless there is real chance that one man would bluff into 2 players with four [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s on board. It looks like lesser hearts are calling to the river.

For the same reasoning I like a limp pf. Since it sounds like the table is playing showdown poker, you don't have enough people in to squeeze an equity edge.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM

check the flop!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. I'd usually limp preflop but I really hate a flop bet here.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. A bet will often get us a fold from a 9 (with no heart) and calls from draws. It's true that Qs won't fold here for one bet usually, but most other non-heart hands will fold (especially those that have two overcards to our pair) and that's very good.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. A bet will often get us a fold from a 9 (with no heart) and calls from draws. It's true that Qs won't fold here for one bet usually, but most other non-heart hands will fold (especially those that have two overcards to our pair) and that's very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands that have 2 overcards to our pair outs that aren't straight draws that will fold the flop to a bet after limping preflop in a loose passive game are hands that we usually don't care much, as to whether they call or fold. You're basically talking K8o no heart here or AJo no heart. If you think the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] will fold then you should bet, but I think you'll be in a better spot by checking the flop.

Rob
Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 PM

"Goofball=closet LAG. "

Your new nickname is Coco the gorilla.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I didn't know there was anything closet about it. Anyway, I think this preflop raise is way better than most people think. Partially because I know the blinds were both super loose (like 80% to come along) and I didn't bother to include that in the OP. I did think briefly about calling mid-hand. I thought something along the line of the following. Sweet, a hand I can play. Maybe I should raise this time though, I'll probably end up in a 6 way pot which is nearly enough just based on set odds. Other good reasons to raise is I take it down on a A77 flop lots of the time with a single bet. Also sometimes I make a straight and very occasionally I win at showdown unimproved. Also I could wind up with some excessive action against someone who decides I can't really have hit that 862 flop.

On the turn no one is folding a better hand to a bet ever and I can fold if I get raised (but i miss out on my shot at the 1 outer). Because there's no danger of folding a winner and no shot at folding out a winner from my opponent my job becomes getting action from hands that are worse than mine. If my opponents have full house draws I should bet the turn but there's certainly no reason to think they do.

Dude,
The difference between bet-check and check-bet is that the former is way more likely to get action only when I'm beat, while the former will induce a lot of river crying calls.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 PM

I like the check the turn line and call a river bet. Obviously I wouldn't overcall. Again goofball described these guys as idiots so I don't think a flop bet loses an idiot with a 9.