Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-07-2007, 04:17 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default We\'re Playing a Gambling Game

Full 30/60 game at the Bellagio that's playing about like usual.

I open in early position with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], SB 3bets, BB calls, I call.

SB is semi-tight and decent from what I can tell. He misapplies a few concepts and has made a couple of bad calldowns against me with A high but he's certainly an overall winner against this cast of morons. His range is larger than normal against me I think because he didn't approve of my open raising with Q5s earlier and he's capable of adjusting if it's occurred to him.

BB is an asian lady, early 30s probably who's around all the time. She plays ok but coldcalls preflop with too wide a range. Postflop she's probably slightly better than SB.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets, BB calls, I call.

Turn is a 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks.

How do you play the rest of the hand? Bet now? bet the river if i check and they check again? Call the river if I check and SB bets? What if BB bets? Why am I doing any of these things?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: We\'re Playing a Gambling Game

I like betting the turn and re-evaluating on the river. You dont want to give a free card to hands like QJ, JT, 99, etc., and you are ahead a lot here. If someone wakes up with a check raise here, you can probably fold, depending on how confident your read is, but i think that will be rare. If it bricks off on the river and checks to you again, I would bet.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:41 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Oh yeah?! Well I had sex with your wife!!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 AM

Your hand is probably good here, and this doesn't seem like the kind of spot where a better hand is going to go for a check-raise, so I like betting.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah?! Well I had sex with your wife!!

[/ QUOTE ]

TR, plz.

Anyway, except for the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] every hand has a problem with this flop and there's little room for trickery. You say BB plays fairly well post-flop and since she didn't raise on the flop I'm thinking you've got her beat. Once SB and BB check the turn I bet but I'm also one of the easiest ppl to c/r. I'd be darned surprised if I was in this spot, though, because a better hand than yours really ought to bet the turn. I'd bet river if a Queen (duh!), King or blank comes. OTOH, I won't defend the above too far because it's something of a sticky spot.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 AM

"he didn't approve of my open raising with Q5s"

They tend to take these things personally, don't they? I once opened there with, I think, K-8s in the cut-off, and, though I was playing my usual fold 99.6% of the hands pre-flop style, I was forever known as "Mr. K-8" to the rest of the table.

"Bet now?"

Yeah, probably. I wouldn't want to give a free card to T-9, or J-J or Q-J or somesuch. Heck, someone might fold another A-Q. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

"bet the river if i check and they check again?"

Yes, definitely. Would someone really check a better hand twice? And you betting on the end after they checked twice might make them think you have air.

"Call the river if I check and SB bets? What if BB bets?"

I would. They would have expected you to bet a K or a Q once they both checked the turn.

bet the river if i check and they check again? Call the river if I check and SB bets? What if BB bets? Why am I doing any of these things?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Seems like you would want to go for a b/f on the turn. You may very well be ahead and you don't want to give a free card to JJ.

If they both call and the river blanks, your image and how they play would have something to do with whether you bet on the end. Will they call on the end with JJ or worse? Could they just have a scared AK and are calling you down with the best hand?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM

I'm betting this and reevaluating based on the river card. BB is going to be on a lame draw here a lot (like a Jack). I think if BB is checking to you he probably can't beat a queen. If one folds and river bricks this is an easy value bet on the river.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM

I think you have to bet the turn. Too many hands that are behind call you here to make checking correct.

I'd fold to a check-raise. As for the river, I usually value bet it unless I have a strong read to the contrary.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 PM

one outer, what do you think of the Wild's chances this year?

Bet now, I think a jack is coming on the river for a three way chop.