Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Default 6/12 CP turn play

this hand came up this past friday at CP 6/12. side info: table has been playing pretty tight with 4 LP donks, a couple tight solid players, and a few im not to sure about. I have been trying to open up with a little less because of this. here we go

HERO dealt 10s9s open raises UTG
LP donk calls, folds to tight solid SB calls, LAG BB calls; 4 to the flop (8smbets)

FLOP: 8s 5h 3s
sb check, bb bets, HERO raises, LP donk calls 2 cold, sb calls, bb calls (16sb)

TURN: Jc
sb check, bb bets, HERO raises, LP donks folds, sb 3 bets, bb calls 3 bets... HERO???? (16bigbets in pot b4 my action)

just wondering if i should just call or juice the pot again
if anyone would like to know my course of action or how the hand layed out lemme know
Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 6/12 CP turn play

Thinking about this one, with a LAG BB I would expect that he probably has either a better spade draw then you do or he turned two pair. The check raise from the tight solid SB screams a set to me so I've got you in third place at this point. I'm happy with any non-board pairing spade (7) or the 3 Q's or 3 7's. You have 6 outs to a made hand and figure that half the time you are good with your flush, I'd give you 9 and 1/2 outs with one card to come. I'm calling with the pot laying me 16 to 1 all day long. I don't think that a cap is +ev although I havnt run a scenerio.

I personally like flop raise but when the SB cold calls two bets the lights need to go on - with that info I don't like the turn raise.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 PM

i'm a little confused as to how a table with 4 "LP donks" can be playing tight. consequently, i think pf is a little silly, but whatever.

the turn raise is spewtacular. if all your 15 outs are good, you have ~30% equity, so you need everyone to call to show a profit. your raise will not clean up any outs and you have no showdown value. if everyone does call, you almost certainly have less than 15 outs left in the deck. you also open yourself up to a 3bet. sb's 3bet in particular is terrifying.

4betting the turn would be even worse. is a 4bet even a cap?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 PM

I don't like PFR. I think the CCC 6/12 games are perfect for limping UTG with that hand.

I don't raise the turn. As played I just call the turn, when SB check/3bets, he has a set of 8's everytime.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM

What is "CP"?

Anyway, the table seems a bit too loose to be raising hands like T9s UTG. I think I would save plays like that for higher stakes games.

Anyway, I would not raise the turn because you don't have any fold equity, your pair outs are probably no good, and your not raising for value - for forget the "juice the pot" argument.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 PM

I believe CP stands for Cantebury Park, the card room outside of Minneapolis.
If i remember correctly the cap at CP is at 5 bets so I may re-think turn play.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM

may rethink turn play to agree with a 4 bet? yes CP is canterbury park and they have 5 bet cap

thank you for the insight..

just in case anyone cared i called the 3 bet ont he turn and the river brought a 2s... it was checked to me and i bet, both called... sb = 55 BB = QQ

i dragged the big pot

although i wish the river would have brought a non spade Q or 7 results were almost the same. thanks again
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just in case anyone cared i called the 3 bet ont he turn and the river brought a 2s... it was checked to me and i bet, both called... sb = 55 BB = QQ

i dragged the big pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented much? What difference do the cards make? What was the expectation of raising the turn?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 PM

When the table is playing tight I much prefer to open more hands from LP rather than in EP. I find that people are going to see you as more manical if you open from either EP or LP...and then obv you are in better shape from LP.

Onto the hand I wouldnt raise the turn. Its not like they are folding and then you pop them on the river when you hit. So 3 bets will go in anyway given it goes bet/call on the turn and then bet/raise on the river. Where as if it goes bet/raise they will always call the river when you hit but you lose one more bet when you are forced to check behind on the river when you miss. Ya Savy? that doesnt make any sense...I know! lol