Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Suggestions/discussion of new FAQ for forum

[ QUOTE ]

For beginners that click on the FAQ link you need to have a category in BOLD near the top that states:

DO NOT SIGN UP TO PLAY ONLINE UNTIL YOU READ:

then post a few links outlining bonii and rakeback.

Absolutely essential that noobs make an informed decision in regards to the importance of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that these two can have a huge influence on bankroll building and are important. Is recommending this within the scope of the beginners forum though? Bobbyi, care to weigh in?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

A couple of general ideas:

1) It should be in the FAQ that because this is a place for beginners, we treat posters differently here than may be normal in other forums. A little more gently.

2) Traffic has increased, so we should encourage more experienced posters to come by this forum and answer questions every once in a while. This would help ensure that questions get good answers.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 AM

Great suggestions, uDevil.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:11 AM

PLEASE [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Someone point me in the direction of the thread that discusses what x/y/z (a) means!!! You have all talked about it in this forum, but only in that you know us n00bs keep asking about it!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Please also tell me if I can survive without actually USING PokerTracker myself - I started with a bankroll of LESS than the cost of the software, and don't really intend on making this a full time profession. I'm here to have "fun" and try to make a small amount of money while I'm at it (although to not lose too much is a much more important consideration personally).

Edit: Sorry about the thread hijack, I just thought it would be RUDE to start a new "what does x/y/z mean?" thread.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Someone point me in the direction of the thread that discusses what x/y/z (a) means!!! You have all talked about it in this forum, but only in that you know us n00bs keep asking about it!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Usually,

x is the percentage of time you "voluntarily put money in pot" (VP$IP)

y is preflop raise percentage (pfr%)

z is post flop aggression factor (AF)

These are PokerTracker stats. You can find out all about it at http://www.pokertracker.com

[ QUOTE ]
Please also tell me if I can survive without actually USING PokerTracker myself....

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. Having the stats in front of you is especially helpful when multitabling, but if you play one table, pay attention, and take notes, you can probably do about as well without it as with it.

It can also help you analyze your own game, but I don't think most people exploit its capabilities very well.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 AM

Well it seems like we've got some pretty good suggestions here and that they've slowed down coming in. I'll work this up over the next week and then get a few of the regulars to proof it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM

I think that all beginners should start with how to use the search function by Pokey. In fact I think this should be stickied in most of the forums.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) How to use Poker Tracker and interpret their numbers (means and meanings, not to be confused, by that I mean Poker Tracker averages and meaning of VPIP, PFR, ect.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've answered a ton of PT-related questions in SSLHE over the years, and I'd be willing to take a shot at writing a "definitive" what X means & what to do with Y post. Can't give any promises about when it'll be done, tho.

Speaking of, a link to CallMeIshmael's compiled small stakes limit PT stats thread would likely be helpful. I'm not sure if anyone has done this for NL or not.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm a complete noob to poker - played with mates that convinced me to get cleared out at a tourney and got rolled into online. I've got to say: This place is awesome! I've gone from having no clue about the abbrevs to getting loads of really good tips on where to go from here - i may just spend this insomniac night reading the poker wiki and looking at these trackers. I do have one question: is there any preferred online room? or is it much of a muchness? (i've had a bit to drink so i should probably stop writing and start reading more!!) cheers! b
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 AM

How to use the search???
Don't know if this has been mentioned.