Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 02:02 PM

Default ***Official HOH Vol 1 Thread***Week1

Ok two plus two'ers, we will start out by reading pages 1-144, it is a very easy and good read. The language is very easy to understand, and Harrington phrases his concepts easily so beginners can understand.

We start at the glossary, and end at chapter 4: Pot Odds and Hand Analysis. Let the discussion start now!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Copyright violation?

Doesn't deacsoft have the patent on official discussion threads? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Copyright violation?

i don't know, he said anyone can make a study group thread?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: ***Official HOH Vol 1 Thread***Week1

can't we wait until the other one is over?

aren't we going to playing poker for years?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:18 PM

alrighty, then, let's talk it up out there.

i just started rereading it after being away since it first was released (last spring?). its effects on my game has been dramatic.

what i notice mostly in my reread is that there's considerable fluff. the important stuff can be summarized pretty quickly...

-don't draw without odds
-bet when you've probably got the best hand.
-adjust according to your read on opponents (especially exceptionally tight or aggressive ones)

the beauty of the book is the clarity with which it's written and the endless string of problems, which hammer home these key ideas.

volume two introduced ideas i wasn't familiar with. this book was genius at really concretizing concepts i knew but wasn't very disciplined about implementing.

how bout you guys?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't deacsoft have the patent on official discussion threads? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My application for the patent was denied. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Awesome! I'm thrilled to see another study group going. I hope everything goes great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 06:18 PM

144 pages? That is a lot for a single thread. The SSHE group only goes by 50 or so.

Still will be following the thread though. Thanks for doing this
Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM

first of all, i did 144 pages, and you can just check up here u know, when you get to it. So far I learned:

1) observe everything at the table
2) dont give your opponent odds
3) learn to count your outs accurately to make better decisions
4) use all this info to make the best decisions at the table
5) don't assume that someone plays a hand the way you would play it.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:04 PM

OK I have a question about hand 2-4 on page 71. I am a newb (first post!) so take it easy on me if I'm retarded. Totally agree preflop. But to me this is a scary flop "with three low cards that missed your hand but probably missed his as well". The dude is aggressive, plays anything and he's in the BB? Who sez they missed him? My god, we have straight and flush draws on deck... H sez continuation bet or check raise... myself I would be terrified and either check, or bet 1X the pot to see where I am, and if I'm called I might be done with the hand when another club or a 4 hits. Since my play is totally the opposite of H's, I must have missed something.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Harrington doesn't really go into much detail about what he would do in this situtation after the flop.He says there are 2 ways to play this, the aggresive way(his way) and the hyper-aggresive. You have to bet b/c what will you do when the bb puts in a bet?Harrington makes a standard continuation bet on the flop here hoping to take the pot down right then while a hyper-aggressive player will check raise all in here. You are obviously looking to shake the bb right now but if he calls you still have a back door flush and two overs and king high might be good..I agree with the cont bet and would likely shut it down after that if called, he doesn't say what he does if a brick hits the turn.