Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Cell Phone Problem

The Problem:
I have cingular. My cell phone stops working such that it is still on, getting 5 bars but i will recieve no calls/text messages/voice mails untill I turn the phone off and then on again. This is really annoying because I don't know when it happens, so I will assume the phone is working because it is on and getting perfect reception, so I don't know that I need to turn it off and then on again.

I called Cingular twice, the first time the person basically said sucks to be you and that i should just constantly turn my phone on and off again. This seemed unreasonable to me.

The second time the person said it was a problem with the phone and I needed to get a new one. My contract isn't up till may. He initially told me I could get the sign up discount by continuing my contract(which amounts to hundreds saved) , then said he talked to his manager and I would be unable to get that discount, and instead would get a flat 75 dollars off.

1. Is this a situation where I just need to negotiate tougher? I have heard lots of urban legend stories about people getting free phones and plan discounts but don't really know what the truth value of these are.

2. Has anyone had a similar problem and is this really a phone/tech problem? It would suck to pay full for a new phone and then find out its cingular that sucks and I now have another 2 years of it.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Cell Phone Problem

Ask to speak to "his manager". Logically explain the situation to him. When he offers the $75 rebate, say "I appreciate it, but that is unacceptable". Most "managers" in a service related industry are trained to make the customer happy for the least amount of money. They have room to improve their offer. Just be polite and firm, if he says that the best he can do (which it isnt)just keep saying it is unacceptable, and dont hang up, and DONT be the first one to speak during the awkward silences. This should work to get you a better deal.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Cingular absolutely blows, I was with AT&T for years without problem and when Cingular took them over I've had nothing but.

I bought a phone through their website, but clever folks that they are, they routed me to a independent vendor, who I actually bought the phone from. When the phone broke, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with them, they requested that I send the phone in for 2 weeks, yet refused to give me a replacement. I finally ended up purchasing a new phone, but I wished I had negated my contract with them.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:45 PM

runkmud- this does not happen. if you type in cingular.com and purchase a phone that they offer there, you are buying it directly from cingular. period.

scottyp- i'll be sending you a pm about your situation shortly.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
runkmud- this does not happen. if you type in cingular.com and purchase a phone that they offer there, you are buying it directly from cingular. period.

scottyp- i'll be sending you a pm about your situation shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My phone does this too. I want a PM!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 PM

My phone would do this but I had to get a new sim card to fix it. This happened twice on 2 weeks and since then i haven't had another problem. So I would suggest a new sim.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My phone does this too. I want a PM!

[/ QUOTE ]

me too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Your best move is to get the F away from Cingular.