Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: The Better Intelligence-Religion Correlation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're not mutually exclusive until you start twisting definitions around.

Even as written, they are obviously not mutually exclusive. I can believe there is no higher power and still believe I cannot know or PROVE this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hold that one cannot know whether statement x is true or not, how is it reasonable to then posit as to the validity of statement x?

[/ QUOTE ]Because agnostic is about knowledge and atheist is about belief. You can hold that anyone who proclaims to have knowledge of God cannot actually have that knowledge. That's agnostism. And also be without the belief in any Gods. Atheism.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not. You can't both definitively state that x does or does not exist and then say that it is impossible to know whether x exists or not. The two statements are mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound home schooled so you may not have been exposed to some outside concepts - consider that you were born an atheist ( you didn't believe in Thor, Allah, Yawah, toothfairy ...) and it had nothing to do with you proving they didn't exist. You simply started out not believing and then changed over time as evidence arose .. tooth fairy being your first conversion.
The others lack such evidence so some never take them on.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your petigree since your speculating into mine? High School Grad? Part of a Liberal Arts Major in college? Ivy League professor?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even as written, they are obviously not mutually exclusive. I can believe there is no higher power and still believe I cannot know or PROVE this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hold that one cannot know whether statement x is true or not, how is it reasonable to then posit as to the validity of statement x?

[/ QUOTE ]Because agnostic is about knowledge and atheist is about belief. You can hold that anyone who proclaims to have knowledge of God cannot actually have that knowledge. That's agnostism. And also be without the belief in any Gods. Atheism.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, a person can both believe that it is not possible to know something and believe that they do know it?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism and Agnostism are mutually exclusive. Atheism is a belief: a belief that there is no higher power. Agnosticism is a belief: a belief that a person cannot know if there is a higher power or not. You can't both definitively state that x does or does not exist and then say that it is impossible to know whether x exists or not. The two statements are mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound home schooled so you may not have been exposed to some outside concepts - consider that you were born an atheist ( you didn't believe in Thor, Allah, Yawah, toothfairy ...) and it had nothing to do with you proving they didn't exist. You simply started out not believing and then changed over time as evidence arose .. tooth fairy being your first conversion.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your petigree since your speculating into mine? High School Grad? Part of a Liberal Arts Major in college? Ivy League professor?

[/ QUOTE ]I am your daddy.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

High level response.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, a person can both believe that it is not possible to know something and believe that they do know it?

[/ QUOTE ]So, a person can both believe that it is not possible to know something and have beliefs about it? Here is an example of a agnostic theist, man all this god stuff is so confusing, it';s just impossible to know about GOD, but I should believe he exists anyway just in case. Pascals wager you know. Why are you so addamnant about agnostic and atheism being mutually exclusive?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowly -
A person believes it's not possible to know (agnostic), therefore they find it impossible to believe, therefore they are non-believers ..aka atheists ( when the topic is god/s ).

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

High level response.

[/ QUOTE ]You have done zero research on agnostism or atheism. And you are trying to instruct people, that have done lots of study, on semantics. You might actually deserve a better response then "I am your daddy", i do doubt it.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Cowboy: Agnostic atheism is a well-known philosophical direction.

Do some research.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

High level response.

[/ QUOTE ]You have done zero research on agnostism or atheism. And you are trying to instruct people, that have done lots of study, on semantics. You might actually deserve a better response then "I am your daddy", i do doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

what study? when? or are you just gonna fiat that crap?

you ain't my daddy chief. my daddy can hold a conversation without being a condesending prick.