Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: good spot to 3 barrel

3 player table, HU vs. a button steal? I'm not folding a pair to this board. ever. not that I'd play it that way but a lot of bad players will. In a 3 handed game any opponent with any clue knows you dont have an A here all the time, and the bad ones wont care.

Basically the play is only good against 22, and 3x because an T isnt folding and you'd have heard about a PP. Nothing worse than your hand is calling. I doubt anyone folds a 3 here enough to make it worth a bet. This is one of those times people are going to call with their 3 knowing they just rivered, and then breath a sigh of relief when they find out you were FOS.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM

thanks for the input guys, so on this board are there any river cards that you think 3 barreling will show a profit on?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the input guys, so on this board are there any river cards that you think 3 barreling will show a profit on?

[/ QUOTE ]

What range do you think he has? The only way a river bluff works is if you can get an Ax to fold. But the scare cards turn your "bluffs" into a made hand. K, Q are obvious bets. Only possibles card where a bluff would work are J or maybe a 9 if you think you can get him to fold out a baby ace. Against a smart opponent thats probably as likely as getting him to fold a 3 on the A river
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM

You aren't barrelling; you are value betting.

Question is: KQ for value on the end?

Depends on read but I do like my hand here. If he's calling down K high he still thinks it's good.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM

True. only thing you will be folding is a busted flush draw, which you beat. Chk, go on to next hand. 6 handed maybe this works, but even then vill seems showdown bound. I'm not going to say I haven't tried it, but unfortunately this is something completely read/ stats dependent and w/out either one of those all you can do is chk and keep your fingers crossed for a 78 diamonds.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 PM

Let's put villain on a hand.

He flat calls pf. So if he's semi-reasonable he has a marginal hand that plays better 3way than HU. Ax and pocket pairs do not fit that category. Ax and med-small pairs are horrid oop 3way.

He check/calls flop. He doesn't have any of it. We know in hindsight he isn't slowplaying anything. He must raise a pair here. The call is either a loose peel or a high card, where we've already discounted an ace, which also takes the 3 and 5 out of play.

Turn is a total brick. He check/calls. He has a high card.

River is the ace. He checks. Anything is possible at small stakes. A guy calls with ace high thinking it's good, then checks an ace fearing it's outkicked. Or he calls down with an ace thinking it's good, then wants to c/r river thinking maybe we have a hand. It's possible he thinks the only way to get a bet is to let you bluff.

But the likelihood is it missed him and he has K high. If K high was good on 3rd street it's still good. I think you can bet this. In the heat of the moment I would probably check, but getting paid off by KJ would be awesome. Great metagame.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's put villain on a hand.

He flat calls pf. So if he's semi-reasonable he has a marginal hand that plays better 3way than HU. Ax and pocket pairs do not fit that category. Ax and med-small pairs are horrid oop 3way.

He check/calls flop. He doesn't have any of it. We know in hindsight he isn't slowplaying anything. He must raise a pair here. The call is either a loose peel or a high card, where we've already discounted an ace, which also takes the 3 and 5 out of play.

Turn is a total brick. He check/calls. He has a high card.

River is the ace. He checks. Anything is possible at small stakes. A guy calls with ace high thinking it's good, then checks an ace fearing it's outkicked. Or he calls down with an ace thinking it's good, then wants to c/r river thinking maybe we have a hand. It's possible he thinks the only way to get a bet is to let you bluff.

But the likelihood is it missed him and he has K high. If K high was good on 3rd street it's still good. I think you can bet this. In the heat of the moment I would probably check, but getting paid off by KJ would be awesome. Great metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think you are discounting the fact that it is 3 handed. Vill is not thinking about what plays best multi-way vs. heads up. he's probably thinking about loosening up his range if anything because it is 3 handed. I understand your point because he's not isolating (I think that's your point) but I think this could totally include any mid pairs, king high of course,and possibly even a weak A. granted I don't know sb's range for calling button raises. But I'm thinking you are going to see either a k high, or a mid to low pr. As i said before completely read dependent. Good idea in the right circumstance. you've represented either a strong made hand or some sort of A so there is definately a case to be made for betting, but not if we don't have a read on how capable vill is of folding. And how often is KJ calling here. awesome yes, probable, i don't think so. getting called by most weak pairs imo