Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Help finding me an Economics Textbook!

Hey guys,
I have just started my A-Levels in England (Swindon, if anyones interested) and have chosen 4 subjects I want to do as an A-Level (Maths, Business Studies, Economics & German).

Because I want to do an Economics degree at the best university possible, I'm aiming for the best possible grades (A's ftw). So far so good.

I'm getting along in all the subjects alright at the moment but haven't a textbook in Economics, which is the reason I'm posting here.

I got the choice between this book, which is written by the chief examiner of economics, but is very difficult to read, as it has looooong paragraphs and is very confusing (also, it doesn't distinct between AS and A-Level material [AS=first year A=second year].

And this book which is written by a senior examiner of economics and has lotsa coloured pix in and all, but apart from that, I don't know if it distincts between AS and A-level and how well it is written. From the second textbook there is also a special edition just for the AS-level.

I'm kinda sick of the Ray Powell one (the chief examiner) cuz I revised a little today and it absolutely did my head in.

So, I am not sure which book to get, and am officially asking 2+2 for help.

Feel free to hate, flame and everything else, but if you have advice, it be really grateful for that.

Oh and: Mods, feel free to delete or move if this doesn't fit in.

thanks,
Jon
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Help finding me an Economics Textbook!

This book was written in the 1960s by an MIT professor and still holds its value. If you don't like Math, this book won't be helpful, although if you're goal is to become a strong economist you'll need a strong mathematical background.

http://www.amazon.com/Economics-Paul.../dp/0072872055
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 AM

If you're looking to get an 'A' at A-Level Economics I would suggest using the materials from http://tutor2u.net/ which helped me a lot at during my A-Levels.

Also, if you're looking to get into the best university possible I would recommend dropping business studies and picking up one of the more 'traditional' subjects (e.g. History, Physics, English, etc). Bonus points if you can pick up further maths too.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend dropping business studies and picking up one of the more 'traditional' subjects (e.g. History, Physics, English, etc). Bonus points if you can pick up further maths too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi! Thanks for the input.

I considered not even taking on Business Studies and doing something like Physics.

I also had the problem, that I went to school in Germany up until now, and am just doing my A-Levels in England (kinda long story, if for any reason you seem interested (for which you have no reason [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) you can pm me, or I'll pm you, cause I'm interested in what you're doing and how you got to do it, ntrik).
That's the reason I was slightly scared of doing English A-Level eventhough in retrospect I could have managed and should have done.

Maulik, thanks for the book, it seems very difficult to read, for a beginner, but I might order it anyway, it seems quite concise.

I completely forgot about this thread. lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]