Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Stranded in Utah With No Money: A Trip Report

So here I am, on my way from Iowa City, IA to Las Vegas, NV. I recently graduated, have a friend that lives out there that I can stay with, and have decided its the best time to move somewhere exciting and new.

My car. Its a 1991 Jeep Cherokee with about 117k miles on it. Its been running not lately but not overheating. Thought I had that under control. OOPS. My roommate from Iowa is also moving out and we're driving together, in seperate cars, all packed up with crap.

We left Saturday morning. After about 150 miles my car starts getting a little too warm on the engine temp guage for my liking. We slow down a bit but its still high so I turn on my heater full blast (I had been driving with my windows down as my car doesn't have A/C lolz). Temp goes down to an exceptable level and we drive to Denver and my dad uses his frequent hotel stayer points to get us a free room.

Today, Sunday, we take off and drive through the mountains. At the top of Loveland Pass and the Tunnel my car gets dangerously hot, but just at the right moment we hit the downslope of the mountain and its smooth sailing for the next 200 or so miles. At about Grand Junction my car is heating up again and I start leading the way so that I can set a pace that I think my car can handle. By the way, I'm driving with my drivers window down and the heater on full blast again. Getting out of my car into the 90 degree heat is a welcome relief, its hot in there. We drive along a ways and pass Green River, Utah.

As we're going up a mountainous slope disaster strikes. Temp guage going up and won't stop, we pull off onto Black Dragon View Point. As I stop my resevoir tank boils over. [censored]. We wait a bit and I have a gallon of water I put in there. We try to make it to the next exit. We get about a mile and game over, have to stop, its too hot again and I don't want to permanently destroy something costly (if I haven't already). We drive the 20 miles back to Green River to get coolant and more water to hopefully solve the problem. Guess what doesn't work.

So my friend wants to continue on to Vegas still as he has a lizard in his car's front seat. So we decide that since he wants to keep going and I can't since I have all my stuff here in, and on top of, my truck, I need to find a place to stay. My dad gets me a hotel room again and I call the tow truck.

So here I sit, in the Comfort Inn in Green River, Utah with about 350$ to my name and a car full of everything I own. I've already paid the tow truck driver 145$ to get my car about half a mile down the road to a NAPA store that opens at 8am tomorrow. I'm hoping that they can fix it quickly and cheaply and that I won't have to do odd jobs in Utah (kill tourists) to make enough cash to get to Vegas. I need to be in Vegas by thursday to keep a scheduled job interview on track, so here's to hoping it all works out.

Cliff Notes: Truck breaks, friend continues on to Vegas, stranded for the moment in Green River, Utah with 350$ and a broken truck with all my life's belongings in it. Going to offer repair man a 2007FP and a 2000FWP to fix it, hopefully he'll bite.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Stranded in Utah With No Money: A Trip Report

No credit card?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

SOunds like you are in one of those movies where:

A. some guy kills you in the middle of the desert
B. You meet a hot chick with a biker boy friend, and bang her. Drama ensues, you eventually kill him and bury the body.

Lame story so far. Maybe you should plan better next time?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 PM

No, I have access to a limited amount from my dad and sister if it comes to that, but that's about it.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:58 PM

is there a reason you didnt check your oil, top off the radiator, and fill up a gallon jug with water on saturday night?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Good luck with that.

T
Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So my friend wants to continue on to Vegas still as he has a lizard in his car's front seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone else find this the funniest part of the TR?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Call dad!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So my friend wants to continue on to Vegas still as he has a lizard in his car's front seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone else find this the funniest part of the TR?

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked:

[ QUOTE ]
Going to offer repair man a 2007FP and a 2000FWP to fix it, hopefully he'll bite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a reason you didnt check your oil, top off the radiator, and fill up a gallon jug with water on saturday night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a gallon jug in there for the past month or so, so I had that. Checked the oil before we left and today, it wasn't at the add line but I put some in and I checked the coolant before I left and earlier today.

I took my car in for a tune up earlier this week and they checked all the fluids and whatnot and I asked them to check the fans and belts and stuff. They cleaned my throttle body and glued up the broken fan casing corner and said everything else looked alright except my alignment, which I didn't have a chance to get fixed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]