Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM

Default NL25: KK faces all kinds of aces

I have never played with villan before. The only reads are the few hands he played. They were standard I thought; nothing particularly outstanding.

I won a hand with no showdown a couple of hands ago with KK. So when these kings showed up so soon I was leary. I have never done well with kings and I think I played poorly with these. Any suggestions and critisms are greatly appreciated.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $13.00
BB: $12.55
UTG: $5.15
UTG+1: $5.85
Hero (MP1): $20.50
MP2: $21.95
MP3: $19.20
CO: $17.85
BTN: $16.30

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $1.00, 3 folds

Since I was the first in I made it to 4 bets. I think that's pretty standard.

Flop: ($2.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00

Well, I didn't want to be one of those tight weak players that subscribes to there's a monster under every bed. So I made a c-bet to see where I stand. I wasn't happy to see villan called. But since he didn't rr me he could have been calling with 88-QQ also. But Ak, AQ is still possible. Maybe I should have checked here and made a crying call when villan bet?

Turn: ($6.35) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00

So with two aces showing there's a chance villan may not have an ace. I made a feeble blocking/probing (stupid?) bet. I was still unease when villan called. I was sort of sure he had an aces then - probably a weak ace. I guess I should have checked and folded to any bet?

River: ($10.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6.50</font> Hero???

OK, the bad news I was waiting for. Was villan bluffing or making an enticing value bet?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: NL25: KK faces all kinds of aces

I think you're beat.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM

I like the bet on the flop, but I would have checked the turn or bet bigger. (I'm weak, though, and probably would have checked.)

If villain had checked, I might call a weak river bet or even block-bet river.

As played, I'd fold.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 AM

You took your shot on the flop and your bet size is good. I'd just check/fold that turn and if he checks behind on the turn fold to any decent river bet. As played here, looks like you're cooked...fold.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 AM

I'd check the turn and possibly call a bet if it wasn't too strong.

On the river I like the check and the bet isn't too much, so I wouldn't be totally opposed to calling here. The problem is we really don't know that much about whether the villian likes his hand or not.

If he had QQ he might play this way because you bet so weakly on the turn he might have thought you were afraid of aces so he was good.

But I've seen so many villians play an ace this way too, they love to flat call with their monsters so as to not lose action on the later rounds.

I think this hand probably should be folded against an average donk that you find at 25NL, but for a 3/5 pot bet i'd be hard pressed to let this go, so I wouldn't blame you for calling.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM

So the bet on the flop was fine as far as I can tell from the responses. Now, would I be a donk if I would have checked the flop and folded to a bet? That probably would have saved me a lot of money but would have make me looked weak and feeble. So spent a few bucks so people would not run over me is probably a good thing. By the way, I called and villan showed AJo for the boat that Shanghaied me.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about calling bets to keep up an image at this level. Most players probably won't notice either way. Also, if you check/raise now and then that should balance things out.

When you have KK and and an ace flops at a low limit table, you really have to be careful cause people call with all kinds of ace-junk hands. You were heads up so you had some hope, but if you were up against two villians, it's a very high percentage that one of them has an ace.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry too much about calling bets to keep up an image at this level. Most players probably won't notice either way. Also, if you check/raise now and then that should balance things out.

When you have KK and and an ace flops at a low limit table, you really have to be careful cause people call with all kinds of ace-junk hands. You were heads up so you had some hope, but if you were up against two villians, it's a very high percentage that one of them has an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'll almost always fire on the flop here against 1 opponent but rarely vs. 2.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Looks like a value bet. Very weak turn bet there...bet at least half the pot.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Check-fold on flop is way too weak. Bet is best imo. Turn/river you should check-fold or maybe call a small bet on river.