Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: English Football. (long)

Sven's talking arse, Paul Scholes is plenty capable of playing that role. Then he got shunted out wide in favour of Frank [censored] Lampard.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sven's talking arse, Paul Scholes is plenty capable of playing that role. Then he got shunted out wide in favour of Frank [censored] Lampard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who went on to be top scorer for England in two campaigns. Nothing is more irrational than english fans reaction to Lampard. Gerrard has under performed for England a lot more than Lampard has but gets away with it without criticism.

The whole point is to win International competitions you need galactic class players like Maradona, Zidane etc etc.

Also there are other nations that have underperformed alot worse than England, Spain and Holland etc.

However it is true that England have been a chore for watch for several years now. However the reason for this is not the English style, it is because Sven tried to get England not to play in an English style but a traditional continental one, and that basically led to the blandest most soulless football imaginable. If he had married the continental style with some in your face aggresion and english will to win then England would have been much better to watch even if they didnt win anything.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I always think the same thing about practices. It should be much more passing and receiving the ball than it should be shooting practice and running. Almost every player I see's main weakness is either passing or dribbling. While the OP is obv exaggerating how bad the english national team are, I must agree that using these weak ass training methods in England has a good amount to do with the downfall of the FA(not the premiership necessarily).

Also, how on earth did le tissier never get a cap for england? That seems like it should be an offense punishable by death.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Le Tissier got 8 caps.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

We rarely played continental football. Passing it around the centre backs a few times then aiming a long ball at the strikers doesn't count as that. Continental football relies on players (particularly in central midfield) being comfortable in posession and we simply don't have enough top quality players who are that. Even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are somewhat lacking in that area. I don't think it's entirely a technical issue, pressure from the media/fear of mistakes at times has just resulted in a scared approach and a desire to get rid of the ball asap which doesn't help at all, particularly in the major games. How often have you seen us resort to camping on our 18 yard line and bypassing the midfield almost entirely when under pressure from any good side?

Lampard I think has been tremendously overrated then underrated in turn. The flack he's getting right now is ridiculous. That said I think a number of times those goals masked a very average or downright poor performance. Gerrard hasn't been that much better, I do think he is a better player though. I'm sure in time he'll end up getting the [censored] booing as well. My comment is more frustration that player of Scholes' talent was so criminally misused IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM

I'd be interested in people's reaction to this, which seems on-topic with the OP. I'm American and don't have the chance to follow EPL as much as I'd like, but I've heard people say that there are many more talented players who are left off the national team. Specifically, one friend claimed that there is resistance to giving black players much of a role on the teams. Any truth to that?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Total opposite if anything, we tend to pick players on reputation/name moreso than what actually works as a team. Regards racism, nah.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM

England played 4-4-2 virtually 100% of the time under Sven in what I would suggest was not a 'continental' fashion. In the big games where England failed (France, Brazil) I'm pretty sure Sven didn't tell the players to kick away posession with aimless long balls while they were defending a lead.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Total opposite if anything, we tend to pick players on reputation/name moreso than what actually works as a team. Regards racism, nah.

[/ QUOTE ]
It definitely seems to be based on names...names constantly mentioned in the press...names that for the most part are white boys. Its not blantant racism, its more subtle.

That being said, I don't think there are a whole lot of black players who are any better than some of the guys already on the team. Maybe in the future, guys like Theo, Hoyte, Lita, Agonhalor, Young, etc. will get a chance, but they are still young and need to improve more to play on the national team.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
England played 4-4-2 virtually 100% of the time under Sven in what I would suggest was not a 'continental' fashion. In the big games where England failed (France, Brazil) I'm pretty sure Sven didn't tell the players to kick away posession with aimless long balls while they were defending a lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but in those games, Sven reigned in the natural English tendency to keep attacking even though you have the lead, and replaced it with continental caution and rationalism. What you had in the end was a bastard child of a continental strategic approach (go 1 nil up shut up shop) applied with English tactics and ability (long ball) and hence dreary boring football.

The last decent English game to watch was against Argentina and before than when we beat Germany 5-1, both games in which the passions of the players overcame the caution of the manager.