Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: 2nd hand story: Phil Laak $70k angle-shoot

All,

lapoker is correct on both versions of the situation.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree, but do you think the situation might depend on which chips were used? Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm obviously referring to the possible presence of Bellagio Flags...

Like, for instance, let's say he puts in the stack of Commerce Flags and says "ho-hum, now I wish I had just called" it would look a lot different than if he put out 20 Bellagio chips and then said, "Oops, I meant to put in a stack of Commerce $100s to just-call." In the interests of wild speculation, it's a relevant detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it happened just like the second person described, then it wouldn't really make sense if he had used flags, because he didn't act like it was an accident, he said "i should've just called" or whatever, which means he knows he put more than 2k in the pot. that is far different form the first way the story was described.

btw, i mainly just wanted to work your being high into your theory. but, the size of the commerce white chips, and the fact that phil has played there forever, would make it pretty unbelievable.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:54 PM

There are far to many stories and too much empirical evidence to consider Phil Laak anything but a shady douche. He's BFF w/ Antonio for god's sake. They are both super clowns.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are far to many stories and too much empirical evidence to consider Phil Laak anything but a shady douche. He's BFF w/ Antonio for god's sake. They are both super clowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, if by "super clowns" you mean "extremely sharp guys who are also well respected in live HSNL games" then yes, I agree.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what stories and empirical evidence are you talking about? this one has been proven to be unfounded. the only one we have is AJo's story, which definitely doesn't sound good, but i've never heard phil's ethics called into question before that.

most people who've played with him a fair amount, myself included, think he's a good guy - antonio too fwiw.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what stories and empirical evidence are you talking about? this one has been proven to be unfounded. the only one we have is AJo's story, which definitely doesn't sound good, but i've never heard phil's ethics called into question before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

In NYC poker folklore it was rumored, always half-jokingly, that Phil was responsible for a safe heist at a poker club in the city. The way it was told, it seemed like the accusation was probably untrue, but he was banned from the club nevertheless. It all "happened" before I really entered the NYC poker scene, but the conversations would go like this:

Someone: Phil Laak now lives in California and play big pot limit games every day.

Someone else: Where did he get the roll for those games?

Third Person: From robbing the safe at the Diamond Club!

Everyone: Lolz
Old 02-17-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this one has been proven to be unfounded.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 'unfounded' in that we are not sure whether it's correct or not.
It hasn't really been proven to be false yet.

We have two versions:
one that some guy told me at the table the other night. He claims to have seen it himself.

one that some guy on the internet is telling us now. He claims to have seen it himself.

Also note that it really isn't much of a stretch for one of the versions to get distorted into the other.
The guy on here is saying that Phil said, "I really wished I had called."
Not that much of a stretch that he misheard and instead Phil was saying, "I really MEANT to have called. Wow. I wished I had called."

Also not much of a stretch that the guy I heard it from exaggerated some aspects of it to make it sound a lot worse than it really was and that the guy on here is 100% correct.

I don't know either guy and I really don't care which is more accurate.

Just saying that we still aren't sure which version is more correct.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Bottom line, it's legitimate but it makes me think less of Laak.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heard it. *Kinda* true. More interesting is the story of the 70k pot he lost at bellagio when the dealer and floor (not the usual high limit floor, the bitchy fat older woman) told him he couldn't run it twice, after he and the other player had already agreed to it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... Yes the hand happened.

No, it wasn't 70k he called on the end.

Phil was doing his regular comedic schtick when he said he "should have just called" You've seen him play.
Verbatim: Phil said:

after about 20 seconds:

"maybe I should have just called"

30 more seconds go by

"yeah I should have just called"

Phil reaches into pot to retrieve the chips in excess of the original bet, as if to leave only a call...

... before he could do so the other player called.

Phil scoops with AJ. (The nuts)

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats how it went down I dont see anything wrong with Phils play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. If the other player actually believes a pro doesn't know the difference between 100 and 5k chips then shame on him. The guy got schooled fair and square.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame on him? The guy is a sucker, and that is the kind of player you want in the game. Why not take his money everyday without resorting to tactics that may drive him away from the game?

Do you think it's fair and square when a guy goes all-in and his opponent announces "call", and the guy sticks $5k in chips then shows his $10k of bills hidden behind his chips? Shame on him for not waiting for a count before calling, right? There are plenty of suckers in poker. Take their money honestly, and they will always be there. [censored] with them, and they will leave.

I’m surprised at all the people that are calling it a sick move or whatever, indicating it’s some kind of genius play. That shot has been going on for decades, and I have seen it plenty of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exellent point! Everyone should always be nice to suckers because they pay our bills. Being rude to bad players is bad business, even online.