Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Re: ask me about eyes

OP, for some time I couldn't make up my mind on a career... I considered optometry, pharmacy, and others. I'm currently going for an MBA instead.

Please make me feel good about not becoming an optometrist and tell me the bad points of the job.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim,

How is it that even though my left eye is noticeably poorer than my right eye, I can still see more clearly with both eyes than with just my right?

It seems clear that the brain is not simply "adding" the two images together; it is using the information from my left eye, even though it is poorer, to improve the view from the right. Any clue how that works?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are using both eyes, not just the right.Even though your left eye is blurrier, it is still adding to the overall image bc it is seeing the object from a slightly different angle which the right eye cannot see. Tpgether, they make a 3D image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I mean is this. If I close my left eye and look at the screen here in front of me with only my right, it is almost imperceptibly slightly blurry. If I close my right eye and look only with my left, it is significantly blurry, as in, I can read with my left eye, but it takes effort. Yet when I look at the screen with both eyes, it seems perfectly clear, better than either individual eye. It doesn't have anything to do with 3D, because the screen is flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you would think it should be blurrier with both eyes opened just because the left eye is blurrier than the right.Your vision is blurrier in the left but it is still relatively clear so it contributes to the overall image. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of people have one eye slightly blurrier than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said my overall vision should be blurrier because the left eye is blurry. I asked if you knew how the brain accomplishes the trick of adding the information from both eyes in such a way as to improve the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your overall vision is made up of images from each eye. The image from your right eye and left eye are "superimposed" kinda like if you have 2 transparencies on an overhead projector. One transparency is 90% clear and the other one is a little faded so it's only 85% clear but if u put them on top of each other, the image will be more than 90% clear because the faded areas on the one is enhanced by the other. I don't know how technical you want me to get, but there are cells in the visual cortex of the brain that are stimulated by each eye and some of them require stimulation from both eyes. I can't get anymore specific than that witthout going back to my old notes from over 10 years ago.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, for some time I couldn't make up my mind on a career... I considered optometry, pharmacy, and others. I'm currently going for an MBA instead.

Please make me feel good about not becoming an optometrist and tell me the bad points of the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to look down women's tops, you can get so close to hot chicks when u look inside their eyes that u can smell their hair......oh bad points:

You have to explain the same thing over and over everyday to people about why they need bifcoals and they never understand, you have to deal with people wanting to adjust their glasses cus its crooked even though they are perfectly straight, staffing problems, patients with BO and bad breath etc etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
within the past few months. i notice it at night when driving. the last time i was tested i had better than 20/20 vision, but that was a couple years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry can you tell me your original question again?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i sometimes have vertical double vision, wtf is wrong with me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
within the past few months. i notice it at night when driving. the last time i was tested i had better than 20/20 vision, but that was a couple years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry can you tell me your original question again?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i sometimes have vertical double vision, wtf is wrong with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it only happens when you're tired and at night, then it sounds like you have a vertical phoria which basically means your 2 eyes are a little misaligned vertically. During the day, when you are more alert and when there is more visual stimulus, it is easier for your eyes to work and align themselves but at night, your ability to do so diminshes so they split. Then you give your head a shake, and it's single again for a while.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM

So I've had a self-diagnosed sinus infection for like 4 days (I've had tons and have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis in the past)....but ok I've never had issues with my eyes.

Last night my left eye got a bit watery and then started exuding a lot of mucus. It's now a bit red but doesn't hurt or itch or anything (even with contact in). My right eye is completely normal.

Is this necessarily conjuntivitis? Could it be something else not that contagious?

I'm going to see an immunologist later today....should I be seeing someone else like an eye dude?

Thanks in advance!

Yugoslav
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM

I found an old prescription of mine from 5-6 years ago. My eyes were -3.00 and -4.00 (the first number, I also had some astigmistism).

I just had my eyes tested last week and the first number -1.50 for one eye and -1.75 for the other.

Is it common for eyes to change that much in a few years? I'm 35 years old, if that matters.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I've had a self-diagnosed sinus infection for like 4 days (I've had tons and have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis in the past)....but ok I've never had issues with my eyes.

Last night my left eye got a bit watery and then started exuding a lot of mucus. It's now a bit red but doesn't hurt or itch or anything (even with contact in). My right eye is completely normal.

Is this necessarily conjuntivitis? Could it be something else not that contagious?

I'm going to see an immunologist later today....should I be seeing someone else like an eye dude?

Thanks in advance!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seeing an immunologist for some other problem I assume bc you def don't need to see him for your red eye.

From the sounds of it , it sounds like conjuctivitis but I would definitely remove the contact lenses until it clears. You don't want it to develop into a corneal ulcer or something. There are many serious problems that can cause red eye although yours sounds like just an infection. Go see your eye dude to make sure.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM

slim-

My left eyelid becomes irritated over the course of a day. My eye doesn't tear up, but if I do nothing out of the ordinary, the eyelid will redden, and occasionally, the skin will become so irritated that a light scab will form along the eyelash line.

I put some neosporin on it, and the situation improved, but if I don't put the neosporin on, it will dry out and scab up. I do not have this problem with my right eye.

What's the deal?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seeing an immunologist for some other problem I assume bc you def don't need to see him for your red eye.

From the sounds of it , it sounds like conjuctivitis but I would definitely remove the contact lenses until it clears. You don't want it to develop into a corneal ulcer or something. There are many serious problems that can cause red eye although yours sounds like just an infection. Go see your eye dude to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seeing the immunologist b/c I'm sick! Likely with a sinus infection that's not getting better. The eye thing is just a symptom I think but not the main problem (is it possible for it to be a symptom of a common sinus infection?). Ok, so I should see two doctors now? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Yugoslav