Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: ask me about eyes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds of complications arising after going through LASIK or PRK? What's the worst that can happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I already posted this earlier in your thread but maybe you missed it. I would really like to hear what you have to say about this as I am considering doing this sometime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't give you any odds of severe complications....it would differ from center to center and surgeon to surgeon. I can only tell you it is very low.....anywhere from 1 in a thousand to 1 in 5000. The worst possible outcome would be anything that causes the cornea to no longer be transparent such as an infection or corneal melt and you would need a corneal transplant.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i sometimes have vertical double vision, wtf is wrong with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

since childhood?only when tired?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 AM

slim,

How is it that even though my left eye is noticeably poorer than my right eye, I can still see more clearly with both eyes than with just my right?

It seems clear that the brain is not simply "adding" the two images together; it is using the information from my left eye, even though it is poorer, to improve the view from the right. Any clue how that works?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 AM

within the past few months. i notice it at night when driving. the last time i was tested i had better than 20/20 vision, but that was a couple years ago.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
within the past few months. i notice it at night when driving. the last time i was tested i had better than 20/20 vision, but that was a couple years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry can you tell me your original question again?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slim,

How is it that even though my left eye is noticeably poorer than my right eye, I can still see more clearly with both eyes than with just my right?

It seems clear that the brain is not simply "adding" the two images together; it is using the information from my left eye, even though it is poorer, to improve the view from the right. Any clue how that works?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are using both eyes, not just the right.Even though your left eye is blurrier, it is still adding to the overall image bc it is seeing the object from a slightly different angle which the right eye cannot see. Tpgether, they make a 3D image.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim,

[/ QUOTE ]

You are using both eyes, not just the right.Even though your left eye is blurrier, it is still adding to the overall image bc it is seeing the object from a slightly different angle which the right eye cannot see. Tpgether, they make a 3D image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I mean is this. If I close my left eye and look at the screen here in front of me with only my right, it is almost imperceptibly slightly blurry. If I close my right eye and look only with my left, it is significantly blurry, as in, I can read with my left eye, but it takes effort. Yet when I look at the screen with both eyes, it seems perfectly clear, better than either individual eye. It doesn't have anything to do with 3D, because the screen is flat.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 AM

are there any in teems?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I mean is this. If I close my left eye and look at the screen here in front of me with only my right, it is almost imperceptibly slightly blurry. If I close my right eye and look only with my left, it is significantly blurry, as in, I can read with my left eye, but it takes effort. Yet when I look at the screen with both eyes, it seems perfectly clear, better than either individual eye. It doesn't have anything to do with 3D, because the screen is flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you would think it should be blurrier with both eyes opened just because the left eye is blurrier than the right.Your vision is blurrier in the left but it is still relatively clear so it contributes to the overall image. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of people have one eye slightly blurrier than the other.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you would think it should be blurrier with both eyes opened just because the left eye is blurrier than the right.Your vision is blurrier in the left but it is still relatively clear so it contributes to the overall image. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of people have one eye slightly blurrier than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said my overall vision should be blurrier because the left eye is blurry. I asked if you knew how the brain accomplishes the trick of adding the information from both eyes in such a way as to improve the image.