Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Classic Movies

You may want to check out some spaghetti westerns as they are fairly accessible for a contemporary audience. As others have mentioned the latter Sergio Leone westerns are very good. I'd recommend <font color="blue">THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY; DUCK YOU SUCKER; and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST </font> in that order (although many like ONCE.. the best). Equally good as Leone's films, but much less well known, are the films of Sergio Corbucci. <font color="blue"> COMPANEROS </font> is IMO his best work. <font color="blue">THE GREAT SILENCE and DJANGO</font> are other strong Corbucci westerns, but they are both slowly paced and in the case of SILENCE probably a tad too moody, so you may want to hold off on those. There are lots of other good spaghettis out there like the cool but weird <font color="blue"> KEOMA </font> that you'll want to dive into if you like the ones already listed.

Happy watching!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 AM

I take it you have seen One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Jack Nicholson at his best. Would this be defined as a classic yet?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Oh and something fun for Hitchcock movies is trying to figure out where he appears in his own movies as in most of them he makes a very short cameo. If you google you will finds sites that tell where he appears.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 AM

A Clockwork Orange
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Searchers
Duck Soup
Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 AM

The Guns of Navarone is a great classic war/action/drama/adventure movie. I've seen it a couple of times, it was actually one of my favorite movies as a kid. There's this one scene that scared me(as it would most 10 years old) if you watch it you'll know which scene it is.

Anyhow to lazy to write up review of it so here's the sypnosis from Wikipedia:
"The Guns of Navarone is a 1961 film based on a well-known 1957 novel about World War II by Scottish thriller writer Alistair MacLean. It starred Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn. The book and the film share the same basic plot: the efforts of an Allied commando team to destroy a seemingly impregnable German fortress that threatens Allied naval ships in the Aegean Sea, and prevents 2,000 isolated British troops from being rescued."
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM

The Sting
Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 AM

Angels with Dirty Faces
I great movie that has the impressive acting of James Cagney and directed by Michael Curtis ("Casablanca").
I think this movie is quite universal, a gangster team with great performances and an interesting story.