Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Default how to interpret a min raise

Day 1 WSOP ME
200-400 level
New player at the table raises on the button to 1,400. I have 88 in the BB. I ask the player to lift his hands so that I can see his chip stack and I give the impression that I am contemplating a raise (although I was not). I call the raise and the flop comes AK4 rainbow. We both check. The turn is a J and I bet 2,500 into a 3,000 pot. Button min raises to 5,000.

Does the min raise mean something big like AK or something weak like Ax or TT? What is your play from here? Hero has 35K behind and villian has another 18K behind.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: how to interpret a min raise

In my experience, a peflop miniraise is generally weak unless it is coming from early position late in a tournament, when the blinds are really big. But I am usually wary of a preflop minreraise.

Postflop I think it is usually a big hand. I normally wouldn't try to bluff against it unless I had seen that person do it several times before. In your specific hand, I'd just fold.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Very situational.

I am not afraid to play back at it if it does not make sense, because a LOT of players are using it these days as a scare weapon, e.g. in position on a flop they miss they minraise.

However, in this situation, I find it concerning that he didn't cbet the flop (no reason to with a big hand and no draws on board), but then he tries to build the pot on the turn. I would definitely let this one go and continue to watch how he uses the minraise.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very situational.

I am not afraid to play back at it if it does not make sense, because a LOT of players are using it these days as a scare weapon, e.g. in position on a flop they miss they minraise.

However, in this situation, I find it concerning that he didn't cbet the flop (no reason to with a big hand and no draws on board), but then he tries to build the pot on the turn. I would definitely let this one go and continue to watch how he uses the minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.

In a readless vacuum I am leading this flop for 1800 and then shutting down. He is folding without an A or K.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very situational.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.

In a readless vacuum I am leading this flop for 1800 and then shutting down. He is folding without an A or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Cornell although I would probably lead for a bit over 2000 being that this is a live event.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, a peflop miniraise is generally weak unless it is coming from early position late in a tournament, when the blinds are really big.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, a peflop miniraise is generally weak unless it is coming from early position late in a tournament, when the blinds are really big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not as sure I see people minraising small pp and really random hands in EP more and more often - I think people have picked up that many think it's a sign of strength.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Day 1 WSOP ME
200-400 level
New player at the table raises on the button to 1,400. I have 88 in the BB. I ask the player to lift his hands so that I can see his chip stack and I give the impression that I am contemplating a raise (although I was not). I call the raise and the flop comes AK4 rainbow. We both check. The turn is a J and I bet 2,500 into a 3,000 pot. Button min raises to 5,000.

Does the min raise mean something big like AK or something weak like Ax or TT? What is your play from here? Hero has 35K behind and villian has another 18K behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first instinct was to raise and then I decided that I did not want to risk the chips. I hesitated and thought it through and decided my first instinct is usually right and I had some chips to gamble with so I threw in an additional 6,000 raise.

Villian thought for a long while before showing an A and folding. He figured he was out kicked or that I might have two pair. I obviously did not show and told him he made a great laydown.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 PM

God his raise was sooooooooooo awful.