Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Jason Terry suspended for game 6

title says it all

EDIT- story here
Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Jason Terry suspended for game 6

Is it just me, or are there much more suspensions this year during the playoffs than usual?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 PM

not just you, they are suspension happy this year, the problem is once you give out the first one you have to give out the rest for anything similar
Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not just you, they are suspension happy this year, the problem is once you give out the first one you have to give out the rest for anything similar

[/ QUOTE ]

have any of them not been justified?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
have any of them not been justified?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they all have technically, but this is the first year most of these offences would even be considered to result in suspensions.

I think the Mavs easily have enough depth to be fine without him for this game, but they must end the series here.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:46 PM

This is ridiculous. In watching the replay, it is inconclusive that Terry was punching, or simply trying to push Finley off. When a guy is digging his hip into my head, I'm probably flailing my arms a bit as well.

If Terry can be seen maliciously punching Finley, then a suspension is warranted. All the video I've seen is completely inconclusive as to what is actually happening.

Meanwhile, Evans yanks a beanbag and gets fined 10k, in a series that he wasn't even necessary in.

Ugh.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is ridiculous. In watching the replay, it is inconclusive that Terry was punching, or simply trying to push Finley off. When a guy is digging his hip into my head, I'm probably flailing my arms a bit as well.

If Terry can be seen maliciously punching Finley, then a suspension is warranted. All the video I've seen is completely inconclusive as to what is actually happening.

Meanwhile, Evans yanks a beanbag and gets fined 10k, in a series that he wasn't even necessary in.

Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a vacuum, I think you're actually right about this; a money fine would have been sufficient. However, the NBA has already handed three (I think) one-game suspensions in the playoffs this year. Not suspending Terry would appear to be playing favorites, so they have to.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Let's have entire year build up to a great playoff game, then let's have players sit on the bench. Insane.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 PM

This decision is what's been made in a vacuum. The rules say if you punch at someone, you're out for a game. However, this ruling fails to account for extenuating circumstances, like...

1) The player in question was lying flat on his back with not one, but two opposing players having just landed on him.
2) The player in question CALLED FOR TIMEOUT before either player tied him up -- the refs conveniently missed this and play should have been stopped right there.
3) The player in question is a key player in the biggest series of the year.
4) The player in question is far from the only player in this series to have made inappropriate physical contact with the other team's players (just from last night Bowen popped Devin Harris right on the chin after play had stopped -- no call, no fine, no suspension).
5) The video "evidence" in this case is far from totally conclusive as to the intent or severity of the contact.

Taken in a vacuum, the league office sees a fist-like getsure meekly thrown from a player on his back to a player who'd just violently landed on his head, and disregarding all the other circumstances - they decide to suspend Jason Terry, thus severely decreasing the Mavericks chances of winning the series in Game 6 (and thus, overall) and therefore severely decreasing the chances that the best team will emerge from this series that shouldn't even be being played until the next round anyway.

The seeding sucks, the officiating has sucked in both directions, and this decision is patently unfair. Basically, the NBA is really sucking in fairly delineating a Western Conference Champion.

Go Mavs.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:58 PM

"3) The player in question is a key player in the biggest series of the year."

Your other points are fine, but this one doesn't matter at all.

-Michael