Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 AM

Default river overbet shove for value.

UB 109.

Blinds 100/200, I have 7k and limp UTG with 88.

Folds to the blinds who complete/check.

Flop - K T 8 two spades. Checks to me, I bet 400, the SB calls, BB folds.

Turn - Kc. SB checks, I bet 800 into 1200. He calls.

River - 7s, completing the flush. He checks.

I was very surprised to see him check, I put him on a hand that got there and expected him to lead. Regardless, I shove 5600 into 2800, he covers me by a smidge.

Good?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: river overbet shove for value.

yeah, for sure

edit: hate the limp though
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 AM

i prolly only bet 2k here, i don't mind the overbet shove but i think you're going to lose a lot of the crying calls that you may earn w/ a 2k bet (j9, flush, KKx nahmean?)
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 AM

i think you'd get more value from his entire range if you bet out normally and let him c/r you if he's got the flush.

you are folding out all trips/two pair
Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 AM

villain definitely doesnt fold a flush and most likely not a straight or a king. a ten probably usually wont call a regular bet anyway, also a flush is more likely to c/c this river than c/r.

i like it
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 AM

Bakes--

Great. You aren't even losing much value from a K; Villains will fold slightly more often but will generally either outthink or not-think themselves into paying off regardless of bet size.

I often catch myself overestimating both my opponents' sensitivity to bet size and the importance of the metagame, and these are obviously the two biggest reasons to bet less here. Very often you're giving up too much by making the smaller bet.

--Nate
Old 01-25-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

Preflop is largely dependent on the game texture. Note that the ability to (potentially) get stacks in at this depth despite the limp removes much of the reason to raise. Or fold.

--Nate
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

Preflop is largely dependent on the game texture. Note that the ability to (potentially) get stacks in at this depth despite the limp removes much of the reason to raise. Or fold.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

35BBs? it still takes a little bit of doing to get a stack in. not to mention the hand plays a lot easier when you DONT flop a set when youve raised preflop. and i cant imagine a game where folding is correct.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

35BBs? it still takes a little bit of doing to get a stack in. not to mention the hand plays a lot easier when you DONT flop a set when youve raised preflop. and i cant imagine a game where folding is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

Again, raising is often correct. But just a few benefits to limping with 35BB:

-You can often call a raise but not a reraise.

-Many opponents play worse in limped pots than in raised ones. One example is the type that gives up too easily but doesn't fold once they've invested anything postflop. This all-or-nothing attitude is disaster for them in a limped pot.

-Under certain conditions limps induce tons of loose overlimps.

-I almost hate to mention it, because it's perhaps the most misapplied concept in tournament poker, but if the decision
is very close and utility at that stage of the tournament is significantly nonlinear, there might be something to be said for taking the less volatile play. (Although it's not always the case that limping is less volatile than raising.)

--Nate
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo--

Again, raising is often correct. But just a few benefits to limping with 35BB:

-You can often call a raise but not a reraise.

-Many opponents play worse in limped pots than in raised ones. One example is the type that gives up too easily but doesn't fold once they've invested anything postflop. This all-or-nothing attitude is disaster for them in a limped pot.

-Under certain conditions limps induce tons of loose overlimps.

-I almost hate to mention it, because it's perhaps the most misapplied concept in tournament poker, but if the decision
is very close and utility at that stage of the tournament is significantly nonlinear, there might be something to be said for taking the less volatile play. (Although it's not always the case that limping is less volatile than raising.)

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is it with people getting their usernames changed. i kind of want to get mine changed but then i dont know what to.

oh, and nate makes sense but i still riase here 99.99999999% pf. and good shove.