Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Default 5/10, Ultra-deep, trips on turn

This is a live, 9-handed 5/10 game. The game has been quite loose with many multi-way raised pots. I have been the LAGgiest player at the table. I have been raising preflop frequently and have been very aggressive postflop, and I have been caught in a couple of big bluffs already. The table probably views me as an overaggressive LAGtard but not a complete idiot. The villain in this hand has been very loose preflop, but he definitely knows what he is doing and has shown to be fearless in previous big hands.

Relevant stacks: Villain has about $5000 and I cover.

I get AKo UTG+1 and raise to $55. Villain, two seats to my left, calls and there are two other callers behind. The blinds fold.

Flop (pot = $235): A64 rainbow. I lead out for $200, villain quickly calls and the other players fold. This is standard up to this point, right?

Turn (pot = $635): A64(A) rainbow. I bet $600; villain thinks for a while and minraises to $1200. How should I proceed? Should I have checked the turn instead? Keep in mind that if I call the raise, villain still has about 350bb left.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 5/10, Ultra-deep, trips on turn

call/call?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Call and bet-call most rivers.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Btw, why do you bet so much? You're potting a hand you want to see a showdown with when there are hardly any draws out there. The way I see it is you actually want the weaker aces to drag along and you don't want to get stacked to 2-pairs or trips. I don't see a point in betting so much unless you want to see this 500BB deep hand all-in.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, why do you bet so much? You're potting a hand you want to see a showdown with when there are hardly any draws out there. The way I see it is you actually want the weaker aces to drag along and you don't want to get stacked to 2-pairs or trips. I don't see a point in betting so much unless you want to see this 500BB deep hand all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's the thing. If I have the best hand, I want to see it get all in. If I am beat, I don't. I have to assume that Ax makes up most of villain's range when he calls on the flop, and I don't think a $600 turn bet scares off Ax any more than a $350 bet. The question is whether the risk of getting stacked is worse than the reward of building a bigger pot to get paid off.