Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: I love AJo =]

Yeah, exactly. While I love the screw play, it potentially costs us 3 SBs, while only gaining us 1 SB max in the ideal event.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

I absolutely do what you did here, unless the read on the players says they are very unlikely to bet. You've shown no strength yet, MP has bet the flop and thus likes his hand at least enough to want to protect it if not bet it for value. If you raise the flop you need to bet out the turn and river, and are less likely to get called on these streets. Checkraising the turn ties them to the pot if they've got a good ace (they've now put in 1.5BB before the checkraise as opposed to .5), and if they hold a pocket pair they are drawing to so few outs that you WANT them to stick around and put in lots of money. Checkraising the flop doesn't protect your hand anyway, since almost no one is folding for just one more after they've already called, so talking of being drawn out on because you've waited makes no sense anyway. If it gets checked behind, you're almost definitely getting called on the river, so you've really lost very little in terms of value.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Except when the turn went check/check/check, the river went bet/raise/fold/call, and villain flips over 44. Or the turn goes the same as before as well as the river, and villain quietly mucked his missed gutshot. I really think with another player in you must raise this flop one way or the other and lead the turn. Fast play often netts more value than slowplay. Usually you already pay for the potential gain of the turn c/r on the flop. If button would just fold, you've already broken-even -- with a whole lot of risk.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Wow, what varied responses. I think this issue of flopping TTP is probably one of the most difficult we face in a live 3/6 setting. I think the various opinions bear that out.

Rest assured, Babar and Co., that I did indeed bet the river, saw two mucks, and raked the pot.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM

I probably would have considered betting out the turn (my usual play) but I had a feeling that at least the MP would bet for me.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:17 PM

I like the flop & turn play. The flop was pretty much devoid of draws and the turn card certainly wasn't scary at all--there's no reason to believe that MP won't bet his ace again.

I agree that the river is an insanely easy bet, and I just call a raise given the generally passive nature of these games.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks. Coming from you, agreement is noteworthy. I guess I played it this way because MP was entering near-tilt territory. I knew he'd bet for me. It didn't hurt that it was probably the most non-threatening flop I could imagine for my hand without seeing a boat. Two of any suit would have changed my thinking.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM

And yes, btw, I love how I played this hand.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting this river is doubleplusstandard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also really despise the flop C/C. I think at a nitty game like this, the flop gets checked through far too often, and you often wish that you wouldn't have gotten frisky and just done the obvious thing and bet your monster so the LP's could call.