Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

Looks like Mr. Bullock is going to be looking for a job soon!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Alright, not to be a massive arrogant dick(as I'm still in my first semester and posting on 2p2 instead of doing work so all this stuff below may very well apply to me in 2.5 years), but from my experience at a borderline Tier 1 school the issue is that some significant percentage of the students here are morons(e.g. again, me). Of course no one will want to hire a random moron and pay him $120k. Morons who are related to you are another story, but I really don't think someone who finished in the bottom quartile at UofHouston should be on easy street.

Loyola-LA is what, like the 7th best law school in California(which has like 10 Tier 2 and better law schools and and roughly a billion TTTs)? No [censored] you aren't going to get a good job unless you excel there, you've got to compete with all the graduates from the better schools and then all the people who excelled at the worse schools.

That one woman is having trouble after having graduated from "second-tier Chicago-Kent College of Law, one of six law schools in the Chicago area. Despite graduating near the top half of her class..". Wow, what a surprise. Did the other 5 law schools become accredited after her enrollment?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 PM

I have question that I can not find a concrete answer for. How do law school admissions weigh GPAs and majors? I have heard they check your GPA vs. your school's average GPA for that major, is this true? Also, is there any benefit to applying with a mathematics or philosphy major over something like sociology?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM

"How do law school admissions weigh GPAs and majors? "

Triple beam, ha, imo.

"Also, is there any benefit to applying with a mathematics or philosphy major over something like sociology? "

Here is how it generally works

Engineering/Hard science>>>>>>>Everything else blurs together. I imagine philosophy is slightly better than sociology but when the admissions people see "not full of math" they put you in the same bucket as the other 8000 kids with humanities and social sciences degrees.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM

FlyWf,

Obviously they use a bunch of short bus people in that article, which is one of my problems with it. I mean, some of these diploma factories will take anyone, so obviously if you're at the bottom, you're not getting a job.

Thing is, to a lesser degree, the same thing happens at all schools that aren't in the top 10.

I know people in the top quarter at schools like UCONN and Brooklyn or people in the top 1/3 at schools like GW/BU/BC that aren't getting big firm offers and they aren't speds. They got into very hard to get into schools, they beat on 2/3 of the people in their class. They just didn't nail the top or get on a journal. And they are being shut out.

Granted, not everyone deserves a $160k job right out of school. Most don't, probably including the people that actually get it. The problem is, law schools make it seems like you go there and as long as you graduate the choice is up to you. Look at bottom rank schools like Thomas Jefferson that have fake rankings where they somehow come out on top of Yale/Harvard/Stanford. Now maybe someone who buys that marketing deserves to be screwed, but the problem is that its happening to a lesser degree.

How many people would actually go to Loyola or Suffolk or wherever if they actually got to see a 100% report of individual salaries with honest average salaries, etc.

I think when they saw that only 1/2 the people have jobs at graduation and only 10% of them are making more than $50k, they might think twice about taking out those loans. Remember, its not like most of these bottom schools are giving price breaks. You pay the same for Loyola as you do for Yale.

Thing is, you have 50% of the people thinking they can get what is only ever gonna be available to 10%. This isn't some corporate ladder where if you don't make the cut you still got your job, instead you're 150k in the hole, making $40k a year without benefits and trying to cross intersections in front of expensive cars.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM

PS- I am a 2L and just accepted an offer with my top choice firm in the city I want to be in, a firm that currently pays $160k to first years and $3100/wk to summers, all while saving $100k because I took $$$ over higher ranked schools. (Just so you know this isn't coming from someone bitter about the way things worked out)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS- I am a 2L and just accepted an offer with my top choice firm in the city I want to be in, a firm that currently pays $160k to first years and $3100/wk to summers, all while saving $100k because I took $$$ over higher ranked schools. (Just so you know this isn't coming from someone bitter about the way things worked out)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who pays any attention at all to these law school threads are more than familiar with your stats, Noah... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]