Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Default How much did Daniel, Scotty and Phil got paid for the Pepsi ad?

...or maybe someone here knows?

Anyone (maybe someone with adverstising experience) have a reasonable guess what such celebrities would get paid for being the stars of a recurring Pepsi ad? You think they got paid as much as Jay Mohr?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Re: How much did Daniel, Scotty and Phil got paid for the Pepsi ad?

[ QUOTE ]
You think they got paid as much as Jay Mohr?

[/ QUOTE ]

More than Mohr. I would think, anyway. Mohr is B list. They could have gotten anyone for that part.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More than Mohr. I would think, anyway. Mohr is B list. They could have gotten anyone for that part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. In the line of letters Daniel, Phil and Scotty are a few alphabets behind Jay Mohr.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. In the line of letters Daniel, Phil and Scotty are a few alphabets behind Jay Mohr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Mohr played his "Jerry Maguire" character which means he was essential. Daniel, Scotty, and Phil could have been replaced by any 3 players who made the final table in WPT Year 1.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Mohr played his "Jerry Maguire" character which means he was essential. Daniel, Scotty, and Phil could have been replaced by any 3 players who made the final table in WPT Year 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right about Mohr. I just happen not to think he's very funny or that great of an actor. I do think DN and Phil are not replaceable with anyone who made a final table in WPT year 1. They would want the most popular and recognizable poker players for this. I realize that no poker player, not even Doyle, is close to A list, but I was thinking the most popular poker players are more key to this ad than the non-poker player celeb.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I was thinking the most popular poker players are more key to this ad than the non-poker player celeb.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one commercial in a series of commercials in which Mohr *other than the Pepsi Can* has played the lead in all of them.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I was thinking the most popular poker players are more key to this ad than the non-poker player celeb.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one commercial in a series of commercials in which Mohr *other than the Pepsi Can* has played the lead in all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact I wouldn't be surprised (note: not saying it is the case) if all three of them wouldn't do a Pepsi commercial for near nothing/free.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In fact I wouldn't be surprised (note: not saying it is the case) if all three of them wouldn't do a Pepsi commercial for near nothing/free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, that would surprise me a great deal. The ultimate goal of media-exposure/fame for these poker players is to make money...Being in a Pepsi commercial won't help them make more money at the poker tables, Pepsi money is the money they're after.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be extremely surprised if this was the case.

Celebrity fees for advertising can obviously be all over the map, but for a national ad, with Pepsi as the sponsor, I would take a stab and say they were in the 100K range. I would also guess Jay Mohr made mohr than the poker guys.

A-list celebrities who sponsor Pepsi typically get contracts in the $5MM range.

Bam Margera (B-list?) got $600K+ for his Right Guard ads.

An unknown professional actor can get in the 20k range for national spots.

I think Negreanu, Hellmuth, and Scotty fall somewhere between B-list and unknown on the grand scale. Pepsi gets a lot of mileage out of that ad, and it was developed when poker was at or near its peak.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be extremely surprised if this was the case.

Celebrity fees for advertising can obviously be all over the map, but for a national ad, with Pepsi as the sponsor, I would take a stab and say they were in the 100K range. I would also guess Jay Mohr made mohr than the poker guys.

A-list celebrities who sponsor Pepsi typically get contracts in the $5MM range.

Bam Margera (B-list?) got $600K+ for his Right Guard ads.

An unknown professional actor can get in the 20k range for national spots.

I think Negreanu, Hellmuth, and Scotty fall somewhere between B-list and unknown on the grand scale. Pepsi gets a lot of mileage out of that ad, and it was developed when poker was at or near its peak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, your assessment seems about right. My point was that if Pepsi came to Phil and said "we will put you in a nationally run Pepsi commercial but wont pay you", I think Phil would do it just because of the exposure. I could be wrong.