Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Resume -- how to explain academic history?

Hello,

Cliffs Notes intro: I recently left my PhD program voluntarily to seek employment. I entered in August 2001 and left a month ago. I have a masters degree that I picked up in May 2005.

I'm wondering how to handle/explain this on a resume.

My concerns are:

--If I put something like "former PhD student" in the Education section, it might give the impression I basically flamed out of or couldn't handle the PhD program and that's why I got a MS. Same thing applies if I make a note like "former PhD research" in the part where I talk about a project I did over the last year.

--If I put nothing at all about my PhD work, the employer might wonder why it took me nearly four years to get a masters when I have been at Georgia Tech the whole time. Also, I worked as a TA through this summer and I have a part-time job right now, so at least I don't have a total employment gap, but it might seem unclear or weird how I've been a TA at Georgia Tech even after getting the MS.

--I feel like having passed the doctoral comps with flying colors is pretty good, so I kinda want to put it under Honors. Also, PhD coursework is substantially harder than MS work, and I wouldn't mind conveying that I can handle highly difficult thinking, but I don't really know how to explain this.

Any advice? Thanks a lot.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Resume -- how to explain academic history?

I would include it, but don't say "former" - it has a negative connotation. Just something like substantial PhD work/research including passing the comps. Just make it all positive, but be prepared to explain why you decided to not to complete it. BTW, why did you not complete it?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM

damn, academia life is tough.

i see that you were studying economic decision analysis? were you getting a PhD in economics? I don't really have any advice for you but I'm just interested in your decision making (how ironic) to why you left the program. What was your research? I have aspirations to enter a PhD program, but I do not think I am cut out for it.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM

Could saying you're gathering data to present a stronger doctoral thesis and basically want the security of a career help? I know lots of teachers who continue their Master's and doctoral programs and get hired easily enough in their professions. Talk to the corporation, you might be surprised at how they would be willing to hire you and perhaps even defray some of your doctoral/post-doctoral costs. They'd consider you a huge asset to the company if you're already qualified for your job.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 PM

I'd say "Ph.D. candidate" if it were me. You still are, techincally, if you passed the qualifying examinations.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 AM

A.B.D. - all but dissertation.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PhD coursework is substantially harder than MS work

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, my phd coursework is a piece of cake! I wake up at noon and sit around the house thinkin' real hard. Every once in a while I drive in to school and show my advisor what I've been thinkin' about. That's it! "Coursework" indeed. For some reason, they pay me for this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

P.S. MCS, you and I have talked about this stuff outside the forum, so I feel a little silly commenting seriously here. I agree that the comps score is noteworthy, but I don't think you can mention it without drawing too much attention to your having left the program. One way to fix this is to pretend you're still considering continuing the program, but I wonder if this'll hurt your chances to get a permanent job, if they think you'll soon leave to get more schoolin'.