Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will Philly turn it around and grab a wildcard?
Yes 22 41.51%
Probably Not 14 26.42%
No 9 16.98%
They will blow it on the last play of the season in true Philly style 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Universal Healthcare? Can it work? I\'m doubtful...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It work everywhere else in the developed world. I can't imagine Americans can be that much more incompetent that the rest of us.

*thinks about Bush*

Hmm well...

[/ QUOTE ]

It may work for you, but America didn't get where we are today by giving 50%+ of our paychecks to the government to let them decide how best to spend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by this line of reasoning. What's the difference between the governement taking it and the insurance companies taking it?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Canada, the government is being forced to consolidate and specialize hospitals in order to keep costs under control. As a result, people are dying in ambulances because they have to drive past 3 hospitals to get to the one that has the facilities to treat their condition. This is not a problem in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did George Bush tell you that. Thats is such a load of crap. I like to know were you live that you know this to be fact
Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Because we can't actively choose what the government does with our money.

We can choose another insurance company if we aren't getting enough bang for our buck.

And again, the private sector redistributes wealth FAR better than the government.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Canada, the government is being forced to consolidate and specialize hospitals in order to keep costs under control. As a result, people are dying in ambulances because they have to drive past 3 hospitals to get to the one that has the facilities to treat their condition. This is not a problem in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did George Bush tell you that. Thats is such a load of crap. I like to know were you live that you know this to be fact

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, it was an AP story and their sources were frustrated Canadian EMTs.

I'll see if I can find it for you. It's been a few weeks.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because we can't actively choose what the government does with our money.

We can choose another insurance company if we aren't getting enough bang for our buck.

And again, the private sector redistributes wealth FAR better than the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious problem is that you won't know that you need a new insurance company until it's too late.

I DO agree that it's a problem that we can't say where our dollars will go. However, it seems easy enough to set up a situation where all health care dollars will go to health care. I'm not advocating that government have an ACTIVE role in health care, simply that they are able to get better deals and reign in the insurance companies via group rates. (Note: It doesn't have to be government doing this. It could be ANY group. Government seems to be the only ones who COULD do it, though.)

And lastly, I'm not interested in distributing wealth. I'm interested in making sure that I can afford health care for a decent price that will ACTUALLY PROVIDE HEALTH CARE, NOT JUST INSURANCE. I consider that possibility under our current system to be almost 0%. I'm willing to listen to ANY idea to make this a reality, government or not.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It work everywhere else in the developed world. I can't imagine Americans can be that much more incompetent that the rest of us.

*thinks about Bush*

Hmm well...

[/ QUOTE ]

It may work for you, but America didn't get where we are today by giving 50%+ of our paychecks to the government to let them decide how best to spend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your government already spends more per capita on health than any other country in the world. Then private individuals spend as much again. The resulting health care system is ranked 37th in the world according by WHO.

Something is very wrong here.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*thinks about Bush*

Hmm well...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your government already spends more per capita on health than any other country in the world. Then private individuals spend as much again. The resulting health care system is ranked 37th in the world according by WHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to give them more money to squander away irresponsibly? I don't think so...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The obvious problem is that you won't know that you need a new insurance company until it's too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Creating what is effectively one big monopoly "insurance" scheme doesn't solve this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
I DO agree that it's a problem that we can't say where our dollars will go. However, it seems easy enough to set up a situation where all health care dollars will go to health care. I'm not advocating that government have an ACTIVE role in health care, simply that they are able to get better deals and reign in the insurance companies via group rates. (Note: It doesn't have to be government doing this. It could be ANY group. Government seems to be the only ones who COULD do it, though.)

And lastly, I'm not interested in distributing wealth. I'm interested in making sure that I can afford health care for a decent price that will ACTUALLY PROVIDE HEALTH CARE, NOT JUST INSURANCE. I consider that possibility under our current system to be almost 0%. I'm willing to listen to ANY idea to make this a reality, government or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should start by defining what you mean when you say "health care" and "insurance".
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*thinks about Bush*

Hmm well...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? I'm on the WHO website, not finding these stats.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, we already had this debate in that thread. I'll break it down for everyone:

Almost everyone favors private health care
Two or three posters favor "free healthcare for everyone" as well as bullets made of chocolate and bunnies and sunshine. And higher taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a national healthcare database? What was
the consensus opinion on the database?