Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Big Draw in Borgata $100 Daily

I'm pretty sure that I played this correctly, but I would appreciate any criticisms.

I played yesterday in the Borgata $50+10 (with $50 add-on). We were at Level 5, with the blinds at 200/400 + 50. I was on the button with around 10,400 in chips. The CO had around 10,000.

Action was one limper before the CO raises to 2,000. He was a decent player, and I never saw him get out of line. On the button, I decided to call with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Maybe some of you think this was a mistake, but I wanted to see the flop first and maybe take it away from the guy with less risk by using my position.

The flop was 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The CO led into the pot for 4,000.

I was pretty certain that he had an overpair, and I doubted that I had any fold equity. Still, I figured that as long as his pair wasn't Aces or Kings, I had 15 outs. With 15 outs and two cards to come, I thought that I was even money or even a little better to win the hand. If I won, I'd have around 20,000 chips and be one of the CLs. So I that this was a decent gamble and pushed. His pocket 9s held up.

The day has a happy ending (I made a big comeback, finished fourth, and won $1,800), and so this isn't about the outcome of the hand. I just would like a check on whether I made the correct decision in this situation from a tournament theory standpoint. Thanks for any comments.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Big Draw in Borgata $100 Daily

you didn't play preflop correctly
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM

If you think he has an overpair then you have no FE which sucks and then you're a 5 to 4 favorite for that huge pot.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM

I would shove preflop. The reason is that the villain will make a lot of incorrect folds with hands like oh... say... maybe... pocket nines... He also is unlikely to give you action when an ace flops unless you are beat (or chopping).

When you have an opportunity to increase your stack by 30% without a showdown you should really be taking it. This is a long ball vs small ball debate though so I will just leave it at I disagree. In your defense, his 5xbb raise was a sign that he did not want to budge off his hand so a call pf is not horrible, it is just one that I would not make.

Once you get to the flop it is a simple math problem and the math definitely says that you should be going all in.

Good shove, congrats on the score
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Shove PF, shove flop. GG. Nice score