Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Final 4 Chip Leader $10 Stars SNG Fold or Call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed)

Villians steals regularly, I have been passive. I haven't defended blinds much. Villian has been AI preflop 7-9 times in last 40 hands. Only seen cards twice. He won race with K-trash and something I forget. He has been short stacked the whole time.

Button (t4996)
SB (t4251)
Hero (t13930)
UTG (t3823)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, K.
UTG raises to t3773</font>, 2 folds</font>, Hero calls t3173.

My logic at the time was I could afford a coin flip and 30% of the time I have the best hand, but looking at it.... I don't need to be in a coin filp. ?????
Thanks ...my big stack game is sad. Guess I don't get enough practice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Final 4 Chip Leader $10 Stars SNG Fold or Call?

If you've been passive and not defending your blinds, then at some point you've got to stick up for yourself, especially as the big stack. You should be running over them, not the other way around.

This is an easy call. KTs isn't a great hand, but with Vil's range, its good enough. And lose or win, you've sent a message to the rest of the table. I'm willing to defend my blind, so don't try steal from me with junk. You've gotta be aggressive, weak/tight isn't going to get it done, and your big stack will disappear in no time playing like that.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM

I find it easy to be aggressive betting and leading even with trash, but defending blinds and deciding when to call or rr Aggros I am a bit lost. Good cards are easy.... Marginal cards like KTs..A3.? Against AI??? not sure where to draw the line. Small stack decsions are easy..but when you have something to lose? I think I have swung from calling too often..to not enough.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:49 PM

I'd fold actually, you could argue forever over whether you should be playing more aggressive or just playing straight forward good hands here, I'm with the good hands group as you have almost half the chips in play and I'm drawing the line on my aggro play a little before that 4 handed, I'd wait around a bit for someone to drop of and then try to secure more then half the chips for the heads up match, KT is to marginal here even though you can afford the hit you are in a better spot IMO to wait around... It doesnt take much to go wrong before you are sitting in the same desperation seat as the BB...