Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Programming card games

[ QUOTE ]
Any particular reason? Or do you just hate coffee, and you project that hatred on all things remotely related to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - no I like coffee, actually, I'm slightly addicted to coffee, I need coffee - now I'm not sure an addiction constitues the equivalent of love but its close enough for me.

Java on the other hand is something I need only becasue in many cases its the only option that has been presented as the solution for a problem.

Java's most beneficial attribute is that it is cross platform. As you know an application written in Java will work on Windows, Unix, Linux, MAC and anything else that will run a browser.

This great flexability is mired with the huge performance hit and stability issues incurred when running a JAva application.

In my work type situations a lot of people that provide us in-house applications usually offer the solution in Java becasue it's less work for them.

Java might be a good option for OPs requirements becasue he justs wants a platform to play a game on. I'm ok with that.

I don't support Java as being the greatest thing in the application developement world or the answer to all application needs.

Hopefully this does not come across as over zealous. I just finished 3 cups of coffee before I sat down to read this forum.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Java's most beneficial attribute is that it is cross platform. As you know an application written in Java will work on Windows, Unix, Linux, MAC and anything else that will run a browser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Yes that is one important feature, but its clearly just one of many. Coding is easier in Java (you can code without worrying about memory issues the same way). Its more object oriented which can make large applications easier to manage. Blah blah blah.

[ QUOTE ]

This great flexability is mired with the huge performance hit and stability issues incurred when running a JAva application.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Huge' might be a slight exagerration, but yes its true. Nonetheless there are many applications where this performance hit is unnoticeable.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't support Java as being the greatest thing in the application developement world or the answer to all application needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I. You pick the language best suited to the task. Web development is clearly a task where Java is significantly superior to C++. I was mostly objecting to your commen:

[ QUOTE ]

I'd rather say I know how to or learn how to code in C or C++ than Java though.

[/ QUOTE ]

because its silly. Each langauge is good at different things. Saying you know C++ but not Java doesn't make you better at programming then someone that knows Java and not C++. And if you're talking about web development as the OP was, you should use Java over C++.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:08 PM

You bring up some valid points and yes, that comment was kind of silly, but in an honest and realistic way.

OP expressed an interest in application development.

I'm not a developer by trade or hobby (at this time) actually but I have spent a lot of hours studying programming languages. I claim NO expertise in this subject.

But when I first became interested in CS I looked at some Basic code:

10 INPUT "What is your name: "; U$
20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
30 REM
40 INPUT "How many stars do you want: "; N
50 S$ = ""

(kinda boring)

Then I found some sample 'C' code

#include <iostream.h>
int main()
{
int x, y;
cout << "Enter two integers: ";
cin >> x >> y;

if ( x > y )
{
int temp = x;
x = y;
y = temp;
}

cout << x << " " << y << endl;

return 0;
}

When I saw the 'C' code I thought to myself YEAH, I wanna learn how to do THAT.

That goal gave me the motivation to get through the Basic and other prerequisites to learn C.

Was C the best language for me to learn? I'm not really sure but I had fun learning and coding it.

OP should see all the possibilities. Also I'll say this.

Internet site Pokerroom has a Java client and they have a download client.

Play both then tell me honestly which client you like playing on more.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OP expressed an interest in application development.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP:
[ QUOTE ]
What I basically want is creating a site where people can play this game vs each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take that to mean he wants to do web development. But any app he creates will not need to worry about squeezing every drop of performance out of the computer and so Java is probably a better choice (Given, that ease of programming will be one of the biggest things to consider, and he has no experience in either language).

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a developer by trade or hobby (at this time)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am.

[ QUOTE ]

But when I first became interested in CS I looked at some Basic code:

10 INPUT "What is your name: "; U$
20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
30 REM
40 INPUT "How many stars do you want: "; N
50 S$ = ""

(kinda boring)

Then I found some sample 'C' code

#include <iostream.h>
int main()
{
int x, y;
cout << "Enter two integers: ";
cin >> x >> y;

if ( x > y )
{
int temp = x;
x = y;
y = temp;
}

cout << x << " " << y << endl;

return 0;
}

When I saw the 'C' code I thought to myself YEAH, I wanna learn how to do THAT.

That goal gave me the motivation to get through the Basic and other prerequisites to learn C.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think axes look cooler than hammers. But when I want to drive a nail in I use the hammer. Lots of people also find Java code "cooler" than C++. Its pretty subjective.

[ QUOTE ]

Was C the best language for me to learn? I'm not really sure but I had fun learning and coding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cool. I like C as well.

[ QUOTE ]

OP should see all the possibilities. Also I'll say this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]

Internet site Pokerroom has a Java client and they have a download client.

Play both then tell me honestly which client you like playing on more.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could develop their "download" client in Java and it could look just as good. Now, for a major company who plans on making a lot of money, has professional developers, it probably makes more sense to use C++ over Java for that app. I don't think its a big advantage but its what I would choose if I were them.

OP doesn't have to worry about every last little bit of performance, and doesn't have experience programming, thats what makes the difference.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM

I'd like to see someone code it in assembly.

[/5th level sarcasm]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see someone code it in assembly.

[/5th level sarcasm]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do some real basic stuff in it.