Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Best Films of the 21st Century

Actually the first century was years 1/1/0000-12/31/0000, ...,1/1/999-12/31/999 so the 2d century began on 1/1/1000 and the 21st century on 1/1/2000. (This interpretation is needed to get the best movie of the last 8 years onto the list, Memento. I assume being a 2000 film is the reason it hasn't been mentioned.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Capote and Brokeback Mountain were both incredible IMO and belong in the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brokeback was the last one cut...Capote did garner consideration.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Lives of Others is definitely worthy of a spot on the list as well. It does such a great great job with pacing which is refreshing to see in today's hollywood of bang bang bang bang nonstop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

god i so want to see this one
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love Lost in Translation and find the LOTR flicks a hoax. Often terrifically, epicly flaccid, I can see these easily being surpassed in the future. I feel these are very much a wonder of their time, not of all time. These will last until someone comes up with the money to do them again. And that money will be less and less as technology advances. I don't think I've been more disappointed in films in the last 20 years than these, besides any Matrix but the first. I find it hard to imagine that these movies would be more well regarded if their author weren't so subject to cult-like worship and if the technology and scope of the flicks weren't so compelling at the time of their production. I'm confident time will bear me out that the direction in these films was unexceptional and the raves for them were very firmly fixed in their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure that i totally agree with this, but i can definitely see where Blarg is coming from. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with a legacy like Ben-Hur--amazing for the time, but not good enough to survive the test of time all that well

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's possible, but they are so well-done I'll have to disagree. The only fault I find with them is Elijah Wood's performance sometimes gets stagy and, for lack of a better word, effeminate.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love Lost in Translation and find the LOTR flicks a hoax. Often terrifically, epicly flaccid, I can see these easily being surpassed in the future. I feel these are very much a wonder of their time, not of all time. These will last until someone comes up with the money to do them again. And that money will be less and less as technology advances. I don't think I've been more disappointed in films in the last 20 years than these, besides any Matrix but the first. I find it hard to imagine that these movies would be more well regarded if their author weren't so subject to cult-like worship and if the technology and scope of the flicks weren't so compelling at the time of their production. I'm confident time will bear me out that the direction in these films was unexceptional and the raves for them were very firmly fixed in their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure that i totally agree with this, but i can definitely see where Blarg is coming from. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with a legacy like Ben-Hur--amazing for the time, but not good enough to survive the test of time all that well

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's possible, but they are so well-done I'll have to disagree. The only fault I find with them is Elijah Wood's performance sometimes gets stagy and, for lack of a better word, effeminate.

[/ QUOTE ]

the film gets kinda sappy and melodramatic in parts, too
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the film gets kinda sappy and melodramatic in parts, too

[/ QUOTE ]

there were also parts where Ian Holm may as well have been eating from a box of Nutter Butters.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Before Sunset , Richard Linklater, 2004

This is a sequel to Before Sunrise, a film that followed 20-somethings Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke around Vienna over the course of one night, talking and falling in love. Before Sunset picks up the same twosome 9 years later, meeting in Paris for the first time since their one night long ago. They talk, they walk, they laugh, they cry. No plot. Just magic. Is there a more perfect ending to any movie than Celine's little song she sings to Jesse? Some films make you think, others make you feel. This one does both. Who knew wistful melancholy could be so attractive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Before Sunrise was alot better of a flick. I liked it so much I really looked forward to Before Sunset. I found Sunset disappointing in comparison. It started out good, the way they meet up again and all. But then seemed to fade off. Came off as a little more forced and stiff in comparison to Sunrise.

I may have to watch it again to see if my opinion has changed. But Sunrise was much better, imo.

b
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let us know how you like Before Sunset...there's even a whole thread here on it somewhere!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious to read that thread. Was it quite awhile ago?

b
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Capote and Brokeback Mountain were both incredible IMO and belong in the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brokeback was the last one cut...Capote did garner consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Brokeback was highly overrated. I watched it and thought, 'what's the big fuss about?' But then I guess a little shock value to the average public goes a long ways.

b
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

10. Match Point
9. Brick
8. Maria Full of Grace
7. Downfall
6. Lost in Translation
5. Before Sunset
4. Children of Men
3. Capturing the Friedmans
2. The Lives of Others