Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Default $12 AKs call all-in on bubble?

Original raiser hasn't to the best of my knowledge done anything unusual, so this minraise seems a bit odd. Shover is 2+2 and knows who I am. Note the stacks, both players just have me covered. Call or fold? Whatever you do, what's your calling range?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t250/t500
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3160
Button: t3450
SB: t3460
Hero: t3430

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in t3460</font>, Hero?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: $12 AKs call all-in on bubble?

Fold, especially if he's 2p2. Either he has a read on the minraise that you don't, or he's got a strong hand. With an A in your hand, high pockets become relatively more likely too (as it halves the number of A hands he can have).

If button calls, one of them is out; if he folds the table gets a shortie and you can probably push next hand for 1000.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:23 PM

It probably isn't a call even if you know that the button will fold. You need ~58% equity (less if you fade ICM) in that case so he needs to be on something like 55/A8s/A9o/KQs. If he will call if you fold and fold if you call you need like 75% so that is -EV against all ranges. There are too many variables to really analyze this but I would certainly call with QQ. It might be a call with JJ and there is some small chance that it is correct to call with AKs. Depends on a lot of [censored] though.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 PM

If button seems to have a clue, I'd be thinking his minraise screams "I have a hand", and I'd expect the 2p2er to be thinking the same way. So I'd fold. I'm not keen on calling with anything less than AA/KK here.

The first question I ask when someone minraises at high blinds is "why didn't they push?" Mostly the answer is "they are clueless". I'd hope to have spotted that by these blinds.