Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM

Default what do you think of this ruling? (B&M donkament)

so here's how it went down. at the final table, i'm in the big blind, the small blind gets knocked out. so on the next hand the button skips him and i'm supposed to post the small blind on the button (small, small, big). the dealer doesn't tell me to post, so we just have a small and a big as normal. some guy shoves all in, everyone folds and as the dealer is pushing the pot he looks puzzled and then tells me i was supposed to post a small blind. even though he didn't tell me to, and the hand was already over, he wants me to forfeit my small blind to the guy who just won the pot.

what do you guys think should have happened in this situation?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: what do you think of this ruling? (B&M donkament)

I think the forward moving button is really stupid in tournaments. Cher-Ae Heights is the only place I've ever seen it, and it's dumb.

And you should pay the blind.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 PM

you pay the blind but i'm pretty sure its ussualy a dead button...
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Button should be dead, you are SB like you would have been if the previous SB didnt bust out, BB is still BB. You should be button on the next hand.

By moving the button to you, and making the guy to your left post a small blind they have just given the guy to your left a round of skipping the Big blind. Sounds stupid to me
Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button should be dead, you are SB like you would have been if the previous SB didnt bust out, BB is still BB. You should be button on the next hand.

By moving the button to you, and making the guy to your left post a small blind they have just given the guy to your left a round of skipping the Big blind. Sounds stupid to me

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that OP misspoke and that the blinds were actually (small (OP on button), big, big (two seats left of the button)). The next hand would be the (small (button), small, big). In this way, no player misses any blind and no player has the button (or effective button) two hands in a row.

In my opinion, having a dead button with a single big blind posted is far preferable, the only consequence being that a player will miss a single small blind. At the risk of discussing strat in B&M, getting to post a small blind on the button is a pretty sizable advantage in low M situations typical of the late stages of a tournament - more so than getting the effective button two hands in a row.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:48 AM

yeah, my mistake. it was small, big, big.

but i didn't want this thread to be about the dead button rule. my question is about having to pay the blind even though the hand was over, all the cards were mucked, and it was the dealer's mistake not to tell me to post.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cher-Ae Heights is the only place I've ever seen it, and it's dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is precisely where this took place. good read.

they also do the same thing at blue lake too.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, my mistake. it was small, big, big.

but i didn't want this thread to be about the dead button rule. my question is about having to pay the blind even though the hand was over, all the cards were mucked, and it was the dealer's mistake not to tell me to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

KITN to the dealer for not making sure blinds were in before action started but I think its still reasonable to ask you to pay the blind. You should have known you owed it and put the money in in the first place without being asked by the dealer.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 AM

If you go to the store and buy 6 items, get charged for 5, start to walk out when the clerk notices the mistake, do you pay for the 6th item or is it the clerk's fault for not having charged you in the first place?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and it was the dealer's mistake not to tell me to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was the dealer's mistake not to tell you to post, whose mistake was it not to post?

you expect the dealer to pay more attention to your hand/blinds than you do? it's your responsibility to post your blinds. if you forgot, then you correct the situation.