Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: **Official: Intramural Sports Thread**

Pickleball is fun.

My team won the "prestigious" Mens Independent B Intramural Championship here at Illinois. The B league was the biggest division team wise (~80 started), 32 made the playoffs and we ended up winning it all. We really had no business winning, but we were super scrappy and won all of our playoff games by 8 points or less.

The best part was after the game. We had a few cases of Stones left over, so naturally we went outside and sprayed them all over each other while blasting "We are the Champions" from our speakers outside.

Tonight, we are getting our t-shirts and I'm sure a shitshow will ensue.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Top 2 at my school get beer mugs saying intramural champions for bowling. My team has managed to bubble in 3rd or 4th for the last 4 semesters. We choke big time.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM

2 time ice hockey champs

been to the finals in floor hockey once...FLOOR HOCKEY IS SICK
Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christ, intramurals with no refs here would end in fights absolutely every single game.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had one league that had no refs - 4 on 4 half-court basketball (best of 3 games to 11 by 1's and 2's), call your own fouls. Actually worked out pretty well, I don't think anyone was making egregious calls against the other time at any point. The championship game was kinda fun, it went 3 games and was pretty close at the end, and we were basically hammering the [censored] out of each other but nobody wanted to call anything.

That said, that league certainly wasn't as competitive as full court basketball. mahgeetah, even if the job was easy, did you get a lot of [censored] from players? It's probably not that fun to get ragged on when you make a bad call. I remember in a playoff game once our best player fouled out on some BS calls and we were probably yelling at the ref for the rest of the game about it.

Also, my school had a couple intramural poker tournaments that were just LOL. Awful blind levels, dealers didn't have a clue, etc etc standard stuff for a college-sponsored event I imagine.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 PM

My floor hockey team last year was the number 1 seed entering the playoffs and managed to lose in the first round 11-0, that has to count for something.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 AM

I've been on some pretty horrible IM teams, although we've kinda had the same group of guys for four years now and we've gone from getting demolished in everything to being like .500.

Anyways the best story I have is in B-league basketball where we play the champs from last season. Their team is three girls who make everything and three tall skilled dudes one of which can dunk. They're up by about 30 when one of the guys gets a steal at the top of the key. He fakes a lay-up, tosses it to himself off the backboard, and shoots a three. Forgive us for not running back too hard.

Next possession I undercut him on a rebound, and he whirls and elbows me in the mouth. We lock up for a second before everyone grabs us, but I do manage to headbutt one of the girls with the back of my head by accident. We're both suspended for the rest of the year. Three days later my tooth falls out.

Favorite moment is from Tuesday where we won a softball game playing 8 v 10 to make the playoffs, ending with me catching a line drive right at me with the bases loaded in the last inning and us up by one run.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Favorite moment is from Tuesday where we won a softball game playing 8 v 10 to make the playoffs, ending with me catching a line drive right at me with the bases loaded in the last inning and us up by one run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that reminds me of this one time we won a men's softball game with 7 players to the other team's 10 and we crushed them. It was like 24-4 or something like that. 2 infielders = ez game.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM

2007 intramural flag football champions at Western Illinois.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 PM

my soph year we went 0-3 in flag football in regular season, and 0-2 in playoffs..... in softball i went 1-3 and 1-2... all in all i sucked at IM

edit: i also refereed basketball soph year and managed to botch a call towards the end of a game which cost the game for a team... i guess i really do suck at IM
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM

IM Soccer Senior Supervisor at the university of minnesota ftw

had two championships last year in indoor soccer Team Holla and Step 1: cut a hole in the box<--- team names