Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Across The Universe

Anyone else see this?

I thought it was amazing. Wood and Sturgess were both excellent. It looked great as well. I didn't care for the Izzard sequence too much, but outside of that i liked everything else. I normally hate musicals, but i guess you could say this really wasn't one.

***1/2 Out of ****
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Across The Universe

There was too many psychedelic scenes for my taste, but overall it was pretty solid.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 AM

I loved it, one of my favorite movies of the year.

I bought the soundtrack too which is excellent.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Agreed, loved it. khole is gay for not.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

hmm, I've heard a couple of these "loved it" reviews, and a couple of "worst movie of the year" ones. guess I'll have to see it myself.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, I've heard a couple of these "loved it" reviews, and a couple of "worst movie of the year" ones. guess I'll have to see it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like the beatles and you are not a hater of alternative versions of their songs then you'll like it.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was too many psychedelic scenes for my taste, but overall it was pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh I don't think there were that many.

I went into this thinking it was going to suck and i loved it.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh I don't think there were that many.

I went into this thinking it was going to suck and i loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly I went into the theater thinking it was going to rule but I was reminded of the last Beatles movie fiasco

If I knew the movie was going to be RENT with the music of the Beatles I would have skipped it. The direction was bad - the movie equivelent of FPS, the acting meh, the casting atrocious (with the exception of Joe Cocker, Eddie Izzard and Bono who was brilliant. I don't recall Salma Hayek's roll as the nurse but it was one of the better songs in the movie), the soundtrack re-recording sub-par. Oddly I think it would have made a great Broadway play, but as a movie wait for Showtime.

One week later I walked into a theater with the same very high expectations while seeing Wes Anderson's Darjeeling Limited, now that was a movie that was even better than the hype - I loved it!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM

It had a lot of horrible poorly choreagraphed dance sequences. It also had a few good numbers, especially the 'Help from my friends" bit. Also, all the hippy stuff pissed me off after awhile. Overall I liked decent parts of it, and the music was good.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 PM

Meh it came across as a musical on the screen, so the over-exagerated dance sequences (the one that comes to mind is the scene with salma hayek tt how did you miss her she is so hot) just made sense to me.

I don't like Bono but liked him in this movie, Joe Cocker was super exciting for me (didn't know going into this that he was going to be in it).

"Oddly I think it would have made a great Broadway play, but as a movie wait for Showtime."

I mean, that's the vibe I got too on the 1st part - I just kind of took it in that way. I expected the plot to be super thin and very obvious, and it just to be more about the tunes and enjoying the visuals. Happy little movie going experience. I think you went wrong going into the theatre thinking it was going to rule. I wouldn't wait for DVD because the big screen kind of makes it worth watching. However long it was, I enjoyed my time there. I guess I enjoyed the "movie going experience" more than the movie itself.