Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

[ QUOTE ]
They should make a TV show featuring Average Joes competing against pros.

Average Joe being run over by Kordell Stewart

On second thought, that would be a terrible show.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that is hysterical. esp. because it's kordell stewart!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CardSharp I think you're mistaken. Most pitchers at the collegiate level that have a real opportunity to go pro would NOT be playing any other position and would rarely hit unless they were freakishly good. The risk for injury is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. And second of all college coaches couldn't careless about "risk of injury" whatever that means. And lastly, there isn't a higher risk of injury--the reason it isn't done "always" is b/c to be able to hit or pitch each individual skill takes hours and hours of practice to perfect every day and it is actually really hard to be a two-way player b/c usually one skill suffers and sometimes both suffer a little. Coaches would rather a player concentrate wholly on one skill.

With that said, most pitchers in the big leagues are extremely athletic w/ exceptional hand eye coordination etc. Even guys that don't look like it will surprise you, I have seen some big league pitchers on a basketball court (weren't supposed to be) that looked like they could have played in the frickin' D league and they were overweight and old...they could also hit. Pitching is an athletic movement is what you need to remember, you also need to understand that pitching and hitting correlate w/ each other mechanically so it is also believable that one can do both well b/c all the key positions a hitter HAS to get in to hit a pitcher HAS to get in to pitch.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

Most major league pitchers are very good hitters compared to the average "athletic" person their age. MLB pitchers are amazing at pitching and batting .150 against them is quite an accomplishment, in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Actually, most major league pitchers, AL or NL, are much better hitters than the average Joe. They were all superior athletes who may well have been the best hitter in the history of their town, but since they don't focus on hitting any more, and haven't practiced it since High School(the only place the pitcher hits above the HS level is the NL), they just appear weak. Every NL farm team uses the DH.

Its not that these guys don't have the ability, it's just not honed to the MLB level.

And as for AL pitchers in the NL park in the WS. Josh Beckett can flat out hit.

[ QUOTE ]

Firstly, how much better are the NL pitchers than the AL pitchers at batting? Not too much better. But the NL pitchers are better at bunting as they get so much practice.

The main question I have is how good is the average NL pitcher at hitting compared with an average guy that say plays rec baseball or softball? What about the best high school hitters? Average college hitter? Would they bat 9th in most single A minor-league teams or perhaps a bit higher?

You're asking too many questions here but suffice it to say they are a lot better than you could ever know. Keep in mind, many of these guys were great hitters at the college level.

The reason I ask this is that the average for pitchers seems to be about .100 or one hit in 10 AB. I find this to be impressively high. It is actually .131 I believe. I think the average guy would be lucky to get a few hits in 1000 at bats. Ehhh, they'd get more than that. People who have played a lof of rec baseball would do better, but would do well to get a couple hits out of 100 at bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the last statement. I played adult baseball and hit pretty well but I estimate I'd get between 3-7 hits per 100 versus an assortment of Professional-level pitching. And that is if I can use a metal bat. Otherwise probably more like 2 hits as they'd hammer me inside with fastballs and bust my bat to shreds.

Your best bet would obviously be to sit on a pitch, but pro pitchers and catchers can spot the "tells" and sniff that from a mile away and they'll exploit you and any minor weakness you have all the live-long day.

Historical question, other than the obvious one, how many good MLB pitchers were good enough hitters to become everyday players?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CardSharp I think you're mistaken. Most pitchers at the collegiate level that have a real opportunity to go pro would NOT be playing any other position and would rarely hit unless they were freakishly good. The risk for injury is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. And second of all college coaches couldn't careless about "risk of injury" whatever that means. And lastly, there isn't a higher risk of injury--the reason it isn't done "always" is b/c to be able to hit or pitch each individual skill takes hours and hours of practice to perfect every day and it is actually really hard to be a two-way player b/c usually one skill suffers and sometimes both suffer a little. Coaches would rather a player concentrate wholly on one skill.

With that said, most pitchers in the big leagues are extremely athletic w/ exceptional hand eye coordination etc. Even guys that don't look like it will surprise you, I have seen some big league pitchers on a basketball court (weren't supposed to be) that looked like they could have played in the frickin' D league and they were overweight and old...they could also hit. Pitching is an athletic movement is what you need to remember, you also need to understand that pitching and hitting correlate w/ each other mechanically so it is also believable that one can do both well b/c all the key positions a hitter HAS to get in to hit a pitcher HAS to get in to pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

darko, did you ever play college baseball? College coaches DO worry about injuring a stud pitcher. It's ridiculous that you're even arguing that they don't. A pitcher playing the field puts more strain on the arm, and there is ALWAYS a chance for a fluke injury.

Given your second statement I think its highly unlikely that you ever played on a baseball field past the H.S. level. Pitchers go in a cycle based on when they are expected to pitch against live hitting, whether that be in an actual game or simply a simulated game with teammates. Sure on the 1 day out of 5 you are pitching in a game you will not have a chance to hone your skills at the plate. The other 4 days there is PLENTY of time to work on your hitting if one was so inclined. I'll go in to more detail if you really don't believe me, but anybody who has played at that level should realize that there is PLENTY of time for a pitcher to work on his hitting.

I agree with the majority of your second paragraph. Most pitchers are very good athletes and have great muscle memory.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

darko, did you ever play college baseball? College coaches DO worry about injuring a stud pitcher. It's ridiculous that you're even arguing that they don't. A pitcher playing the field puts more strain on the arm, and there is ALWAYS a chance for a fluke injury.

Given your second statement I think its highly unlikely that you ever played on a baseball field past the H.S. level. Pitchers go in a cycle based on when they are expected to pitch against live hitting, whether that be in an actual game or simply a simulated game with teammates. Sure on the 1 day out of 5 you are pitching in a game you will not have a chance to hone your skills at the plate. The other 4 days there is PLENTY of time to work on your hitting if one was so inclined. I'll go in to more detail if you really don't believe me, but anybody who has played at that level should realize that there is PLENTY of time for a pitcher to work on his hitting.

I agree with the majority of your second paragraph. Most pitchers are very good athletes and have great muscle memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait for the reply to this!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Neither can I [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm reminded of a post on another forum. A guy was recommending audio monitors for editing video. Another guy (Doug) posted that no pro ever used the monitors the guy suggested. OP blasted Doug, saying he can't possibly be a pro because his opinion is so wrong. After a few "I can't wait to see the response" posts, Doug merely posted a link to his site, listing the Emmys he won for sound editing and all the titles he has edited.