Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Battling Procrastination

I would suggest doing what you need to do and stop being lazy. Maybe that's too easy, though.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 AM

It's all about the psychodrama, bro, and some other weird needs being met. Nothing is easy, if you let yourself be a dick about it. Obviously, a shortage of common sense isn't the problem here. It's having common sense and acting like an idiot anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest doing what you need to do and stop being lazy. Maybe that's too easy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything that one actually "needs" doing? What is your idea of calling someone lazy? Not doing anything or not doing what he thinks should be done?
Usually my idea of lazy involves someone who doesn't want to do anything if it requires any effort.
Deciding to do exercise or read instead of doing work doesn't seem to be something to describe someone as lazy.
I didn't grow up in the American environment where work is the all important thing, so maybe I just have different views of what constitutes laziness and what constitutes procrastination.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything that one actually "needs" doing? What is your idea of calling someone lazy? Not doing anything or not doing what he thinks should be done?
Usually my idea of lazy involves someone who doesn't want to do anything if it requires any effort.
Deciding to do exercise or read instead of doing work doesn't seem to be something to describe someone as lazy.
I didn't grow up in the American environment where work is the all important thing, so maybe I just have different views of what constitutes laziness and what constitutes procrastination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You could nitpick my choice of words, or you could take a second and try to understand what I mean. But maybe you're just too lazy for that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You could nitpick my choice of words, or you could take a second and try to understand what I mean. But maybe you're just too lazy for that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating. At the end of the day, if the early bird and the procrastinator both finish their projects by the deadline, what is the difference?

The problem presented is that even though procrastinators are able to finish thier projects, etc., they are still a bit troubled by the methodology they choose. Even though the obvious "solution" is to finish projects as they first appear, procrastinators just cannot seem to operate in that fashion.

In my experience, when I was working in firms, etc., I never took a day off when I had a bunch of deadlines swirling in the air and I was always relied upon to "be the rock" when the office was going to hell and people were needed for overtime. However, if I knew there were only a few minor things on my plate, there would be a good chance that I would phone in sick.

I suppose that I, along with many other procrastinators, don't really enjoy thinking about how or why we do things as we do. The only time it really becomes much of an issue for me is when I am going through a slow period (procrastinating) and am contemplating getting a few things out of the way. Ineveitably, however, I just let things slide and when it reaches critical mass, I go to work and get it all done (without really stressing over the fact that I could have done ALL of the projects ad hoc over the previous week or so rather than in five-solid hours).
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Thank goodnes this is in TLDR ... I have something else to add:

I guess the thinking goes (for me) is that "If I can do all of this work in 5 straight hours, why sit around the office during the three days or so that it piles up? This is a winning philosophy.

HOWEVER, (and thus the problem) this is only in theory. If I was really enjoying the three-day accumulation and doing other positive things in my life, it would be a non-qualified winner. However, there are times when the "ramp-up" period is being used to mull over the work and the impending deadlines where 1) I am not enjoying myself and become a servant to the mythical pile of work; and 2) I don't do anyting productive with my time (yes, this would be a lazy time).

It is during these episodes that I wish that I was able to just do things 9 to 5 and thus leave my "free time" truely free.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM

do one small thing b4 u do something for pleasure.
running/yoga/pullups/pushups/situps.
sleep better/eat oatmeal/green tea
Lastly, set some priorities on a white board in order of importance.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this, and it served me extremely well both academically and physically. I lack the discipline now, though, and my intellectual and physical performance and abilities reflect it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this, and it served me extremely well both academically and physically. I lack the discipline now, though, and my intellectual and physical performance and abilities reflect it.

[/ QUOTE ]

do one pushup b4 ur next post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I completely understand that. I'm saying he should have understood what I meant when I said "lazy", and so should you.