Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Default coffee

Living in Los Angeles, I guess you could say it is too hot for coffee. In my elusive search for a good cup of joe, I pretty much come up empty-handed.

It might be a problem that I am not much of a coffee drinker in the first place. When I go to a coffee shop, I always have tea, so I am probably biased in my search.

Recently, I have been trying out different kinds of coffee. Although there is nothing wrong with a good cup of straight up (ban for racism), I find it more fun to try other stuff.

To compare coffees, I am a little scientific. About 7 years ago, I received free coupons to some famous coffee shop, and stood at the counter completely confused. I asked if I could have the money since the only coffee I ever had was that crap in a can. The girl behind the counter told me that she gives change for the certificate, but I have to buy something. The cheapest thing turned out to be what is not found on many menus: Americana.

For those not in the know, an Americana is 4 shots of espresso and some water. If you are ever sleepy, drink this stuff, you won't worry about falling over at the work desk.

For the next few years, I never drank anything else but this, but since this is getting stupid long, I will describe other great things I came across:

Coffee with Ice Cream: Take your favorite ice cream, put it in a pot, pour brewed coffee on it and heat it up while stirring.

Coffee with a heavy whipping cream instead of milk or whatever. Totally unhealthy, but it is so good, especially with sugar.

My latest research has been on Mocha. I tried it from two places so far, and to be honest, it isn't that good. But how? It's chocolate, whipped cream and other stuff. It should be good, I would think, especially since everyone charges 5 dollars for this stuff.

So, what does the Lounge drink? What creative mixtures have they came up with. Do you buy from a can or from a whole food store with fresh beans?

And obv. etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: coffee

Tea fan myself. Goes well with my monocle.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Years ago, I used to own several espresso carts down here in our convention center. For about seven years, I drank 15 to 20 shots of espresso a day, sadly and as a warning to others, don't do this, it ruined my stomach. Now I can't so much drink a cup of coffee or even a caffeinated soft drink without tossing my cookies.

As for a great drink recommendation, try a vanilla milkshake mixed with two shots of espresso. If you're into mochas throw in a shot of hershey's. Of all the coffee drinks I miss the most, this is it. I love it so much, sometimes I have one anyway, results be damned!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM

I'm actually a recent coffee convert. I've fallen in love with DaVinci Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup. I've even taken to keeping a small bottle in my vehicle because I'm not a fan of any other brand sugar free vanilla. I buy multiple bottles of the stuff at Sam's Club along with Millstone Columbian whole beans. (I've been buying the Millstone for my husband and even for small Christmas gifts for years. I tried other brands coffee after I started drinking it and it's still the best I've found so far.)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Espresso, home made grappa , sugar
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For about seven years, I drank 15 to 20 shots of espresso a day, sadly and as a warning to others, don't do this, it ruined my stomach. Now I can't so much drink a cup of coffee or even a caffeinated soft drink without tossing my cookies.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened? Does coffee really ruin your stomach?

I love coffee and used to own a cappuccino maker. I had a cappaccino every morning. Oh man do I miss it. Anyway, I gave it away and ended up buying a cheap Mr. Coffee maker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I wouldn't mind having another one of those espresso machines one day.

My favorite coffees are Sumatran, Kenyan and Kona. By the way, if you want to try something good try the caramel macchiatos at Starbucks. Yum.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Here is a link to an excellent Coffee discussion that covers much ground and information and will be a benefit all: Coffee

Enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 AM

I've never understood the mania for coffee. I hate it. Couldn't choke down one normal cup of coffee if you paid me.

Strangely enough though, I love coffee-flavored food and drinks.

I'm an enigma.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 AM

I love coffee... Probably drink 4-5 cups a day. Dunkin Donuts coffee does it for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened? Does coffee really ruin your stomach?

[/ QUOTE ]

As to what happened, I'm not quite sure as I hate doctors and haven't been checked out. I'd assume ulcers, but who knows, I'm just aware that my stomach has never been the same, and that even a bit of caffiene will make me toss.

I wouldn't sweat it Katy, one or even three or four a day shouldn't hurt you. What I was doing was very excessive, 15 to 20 shots a day, most of the days without eating, will certainly do a number on you. Everything in moderation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]