Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Huge overbet on river, I have a flush, WTF?

Villain is 25/12 and has limp called a few times preflop, including once when he raised my continuation bet on the flop. My image may be a bit on the wild side as I have gotten my stack in vs UTG from the first hand on 3 separate occasions with a lot less than the nuts. Only other hand of consequence that I witnessed from villain was this one:

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $195.00
Villain (BB): $510.20
UTG: $341.20
Hero (CO): $441.05
BTN: $411.30

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $8.00</font>, 3 folds, <font color="red">Villain raises to $20.00</font>, UTG calls $12.00

Flop: ($41) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Villain checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($41) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Villain bets $24.00</font>, UTG calls $24.00

River: ($89) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Villain checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $72.00</font>, Villain calls $72.00

Pot Size: $233.00 ($2 Rake)

Villain had K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Jacks) and WON (+$115.00)
UTG had K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$116.00)

Now on to the hand:

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $189.75
Hero (BB): $487.10
UTG: $400.40
MP: $200.00
CO: $574.90
BTN: $138.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, CO calls $2.00, 2 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($5) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, CO calls $3.00

Turn: ($11) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $12.00</font>, CO calls $12.00

River: ($35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $26.00</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $150.00</font>, [i]Hero says WTF??????
Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Huge overbet on river, I have a flush, WTF?

ugh this is a sick spot, I don't think I can fold. It sure looks like he has the nuts though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:28 PM

It's so sick, but I've almost never been in this spot and the guy hasn't turned over the nuts.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Gross. Due to your laggy TI, there might be justification for a crying call here. But I don't like it too much. You're a representing a flush all the way, and he's telling you he can beat it.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM

I hate your flop bet, but w/e. As played, turbo call with fist pump. Too deep to shove here, but you're definitely ahead of his range, which is any straight, any flush, and a ton of AsX combos.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate your flop bet, but w/e. As played, turbo call with fist pump. Too deep to shove here, but you're definitely ahead of his range, which is any straight, any flush, and a ton of AsX combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to hate about the flop bet?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too deep to shove here, but you're definitely ahead of his range, which is any straight, any flush, and a ton of AsX combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't leading into a monotone flop on all streets pretty much define your hand?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too deep to shove here, but you're definitely ahead of his range, which is any straight, any flush, and a ton of AsX combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't leading into a monotone flop on all streets pretty much define your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, his range is pretty strong to do it but its not only a flush. Id prob call since you beat a tooon a flushes .
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to hate about the flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pot it. And if you guys are betting all three streets here with made flushes only, then you're way too passive. I'd triple barrel here with KQ, 78, Q8, AJ, JT, AsTx, As9x, As4x as well as flushes.

And there are also a ton more flushes that we beat than that beat us.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd triple barrel here with KQ, 78, Q8, AJ, JT, AsTx, As9x, As4x as well as flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I suppose I'm triple-barreling with more than a flush after all, and in turn, I could probably find a call here.

That said, that's still a pretty ballsy raise if villain has just a straight/set. Wouldn't you more expect a raise to around $75 or so?

Edit to add: All I'm saying is that an 8x raise on the river seems a lot like he has a flush and is hoping you will call with a smaller flush.