Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Speculation on X360 price cut

Microsoft E3 Keynote (gizmodo)
It's interesting that xbox 360 marketplace is getting HD content that was only supposed to be on blu-ray. Such as Disney movies. Canada and Europe will eventually have access to the marketplace.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 AM

I wonder if it's poor company strategy to focus so heavily on Halo 3. I know the climax of my presentation would be focused on GTA IV, and particularly the fact that only the 360 version will feature exclusive additional content. I don't see Halo 3 attracting millions of new users - but GTA IV with exclusive content seems like something that really could get millions of new users.

I just don't see Halo 3 being anywhere near as huge as they seem to be expecting. The demo/'beta' was extremely underwhelming gameplay wise and looked just terrible for a next gen game, even more so for one that's supposed to show what the 360 is capable of.

Ah well. We'll see. Speculation is fun!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No price cut announced at the MS E3 presentation. In fact, other than an RE5 surprise, the whole presentation was pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I was kind of disappointed in the speech. There wasn't anything really new shown other than games that we already knew about. Canadians and Europeans should be happy they are getting HD content via the MP. Also they announced a public beta multiplayer for Call of Duty 4...its http://www.charlieoscardelta.com Nothing is really there yet other than registering for their beta forum.

One thing that made me laugh wass they added new sku to the lineup...a Special Edition Halo 360. lol

Overall it was a pretty underwhelming keynote speech. Oh they did show some cool new arcade games coming out, including Wing Commander Arena and the new Madden looked like it played better than the previous 'next gen' versions.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if it's poor company strategy to focus so heavily on Halo 3. I know the climax of my presentation would be focused on GTA IV, and particularly the fact that only the 360 version will feature exclusive additional content. I don't see Halo 3 attracting millions of new users - but GTA IV with exclusive content seems like something that really could get millions of new users.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you think another game from the biggest console FPS franchise would be so much less attractive that the biggest city-roving RPG shoot em up (dunno good category for GTA) franchise. Both are amazing franchises, but Halo 3 has just as much chance to attract more new users as GTA:IV does ... especially since Halo 2 sold about 8 million copies and GTA:SA sold just under 2 million.

Microsoft knows there are a lot (several hundred thousand at least) Halo 2 players who haven't bought a 360 yet, so pushing Halo 3 is important to them in terms of selling more consoles, which they will have no trouble with this holiday season because they've got a very strong (arguably strongest) holiday lineup.

As for the price cut, it's not gonna happen (as much as I want it to). Microsoft just cut the cost of making each console last November, so now they are actually profiting off each 360 sale. They have stated that they want the branch that makes the console to be in the green by the end of the fiscal year. Oh, and they just took at $1.2 billion loss because of the 3 red light problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GTA:SA sold just under 2 million.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this an XBox only number? Why would that be relevant? It was basically a PS2 game last gen. Dire's point was that by shifting public perception that the 360 version of IV is the definitive one, it could drive more sales. And he's right. Combined sales of SA double those of Halo 2.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Combined sales don't really matter. I highly doubt that GTA:IV will outsell Halo 3, and since this is a gambling forum I'd be willing to make a wager on it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Are they coming out with a watered down version on PS2? Even if it is just PS3 and 360, i would bet it outsells Halo 3. 90% or so of PS3 owners will get it and over 50% of 360 owners will get it as well i would assume. I guess it could go either way.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah, it will be close if combined sales, which apparently don't matter, are considered. Halo's attachment rate will be ridiculous though.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM

The combined sales of SA are unfair to compare to Halo 2, when you are using that statistic to make predictions about ONLY the 360 version of GTA:IV. That was my point there.

As for combined sales for GTA:IV vs. Halo 3, that will be close, GTA:IV will probably win it if people start to buy PS3s.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Salche,

I was simply trying to illustrate that the fan base for the GTA series is significantly larger, but mostly associates with the PS line. I would think a grand campaign aimed at letting them know the series is going to be better on the 360 would drive more system sales than Halo 3. I am also operating under the assumption that a very large number of Halo 3 buyers are early adopters, i.e. hardcore.