Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

Haven't read the article yet, but to OP: What you've described is not hypocrisy. A class for women makes plenty of sense in that female players may benefit from receiving instruction and advice about how to succeed in a male-dominated game. It does not imply that women are inferior to have separate instruction geared toward them, as their male opponents often change their play and make certain assumptions about them because they're female.

A women's poker tournament, on the other hand, suggests that women need to be given the opportunity to play only against each other because they can't compete with the men.

FWIW I really don't like Annie Duke, but she doesn't appear to be a hypocrite based on CincyLady's description.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM

That's fine, and you know what, I agree with what you are saying about the poker school. It is a good oppportunity to get more women to play in mixed events.

I'm simply saying that with her line of thought, that it's very hypocritical for her to be instructing the women in a women's only format.

She says that the reason she doesn't want the WOEs is because poker is poker and uses our brains which are equal to men's (and I do agree, intelectually, we are equal), so we shouldn't have special events just for women (or seniors for that matter).

What I'm saying here is for someone who has that point of view, to then go and teach at a women's only seminar is hypocritical and counter productive to her message that women shouldn't be segregated.

If she really feels that way, then she should be teaching the women at a mixed poker school seminar, and perhaps helping them with scholorships or something to get them to attend.

[ QUOTE ]

And how on earth can you have the views you have on the to be or not to be of this event?
To let everyone decide for themselves is exactly what we have now! Some people, me included, feel it's time to stop treating women as lesser poker players just based on gender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I and a majority of others don't feel like we are being treated as lessor players because of our gender.

We enjoy playing in the events, as I and several others find there is a different more friendly tone playing those events, than in mixed events.

In other words, they are fun to play.

One other food for thought item here about the Poker School. If she was concerned about getting more women to play in mixed events, then why didn't she donate an entry to say a $1,500 event, instead of the prize for the tourney at the end of the classes, being into the Ladies $1,000 event?

That IMO, would of really encoraged women to sign up for the mixed events.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM

OP is pretty illogical with objections. Women-only schools provide a "judgement" free environment that allows a venue to bring more and more people to a game that could otherwise prove too overwhelming. This is no different than having a special class for teens/kids/minorities/genders to learn chess or darts - there's a very big difference between having a "safe" place to learn and a completely segregated competition that allows huge cash prizes (not to mention a "bracelet" that is apparently equivalent in worth).

Female-only events obviously have good intentions but fail in their execution .. they're condescending, outdated and unfair. Attacking Annie Duke's questionable credentials says little about her arguments.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Isn't there a Seniors event as well at the WSOP? Get rid of the Ladies events, the Sr event should go too.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM

The concept of a women's WSOP event is horrible.

The same login that begets this event should lead to other fun stuff, like an all Vietnamese event.

I'm not bothering to read anything (and this isn't really the right forum for this, but I won't move it) but I'm pretty sure I agree with Annie's basic premise. There's nothing about being a woman that makes poker harder, and having a seperate woman's event is stupid and insulting.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 AM

1. There are some things that women only can be taught. Like how to handle being part of a minority in the poker world. That does not apply to men, and thus does cannot be taught in mixed classes. Furthermore women, in my experience, less likely to jump to a challenge they're not prepared for than men are. That is, I find it very likely that women in general might need a little bit more encouragement to start playing. This is all very broad and general, of course.

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, I and a majority of others don't feel like we are being treated as lessor players because of our gender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are. There's even a special event for your kind only.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Did anyone watch the WSOP FT for the Ladies event? It was horrible and hardly what I consider "poker playing" and probably set back women in poker a couple of years.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Logic dictates that if she thinks that it's an insult to have a Women's only event, then she should feel that a women's only poker school is the same kind of insult.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not very good at logic.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is she even on the advisory board? Her stupid opinions shouldn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a horrid 4 letter word to describe people like her

[/ QUOTE ]
WSOP?