Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Tower defense games

People have posted Onslaught and vrdefendery3k in this forum repeatedly. While those are nice, here are a few other tower defense games which are also not mods of WC3:

http://www.freewaregames.net/towerdefense.asp
This contains Onslaught and almost all of the tower defense gmes you can find on the first couple of pages of a Google search.

Among the games other than Onslaught, there are two which stand above the rest. I've provided better links than on the above page.

Desktop Tower Defense
You build a maze with low level towers, and upgrade more interesting towers. You are not allowed to block off the creeps completely.

Creeps simultaneously move left to right and top to bottom. Some have special abilities, such as being able to fly over your maze, and there are bosses.

You get extra points for sending waves early. There are 50 waves. There are several challenge modes.

and

Flash Element TD
This is a much more standard tower defense game, but it is done well.

You get interest on unspent resources at a pause between levels. You have to choose your technology upgrades--unlock tower types, or increase the interest rate? I wish there were more paths, and more balance between the towers, but I still find this game satisfying.

I haven't tried Turret Tyranny or Master of Defense.

Circle TD has potential, but currently it's mainly time-consuming. The creeps just enter and circle along two paths, and you have to keep the population down. The tower improvements are sublinear, and unless I'm missing something, most locations are similar. So, you build a lot of basic towers, then upgrade them all once, etc. This would gain a lot from a better path, superlinear towers, combinations, better graphics, etc.

DtD Tower defense (download) ground almost to a halt while displaying graphics which would have been bad in 1990. It has some nice ideas which should be handed over to a real programmer. I quit in my first game.

Picnic Panic has some interesting ideas. 100% recycling of resources means you use a tower, then sell it and build it at another location. I don't think this works well with the multi-screen map and delay in building, as the micromanagement is frustrating. It's too easy to misplace a tower so that it misses the path. One good feature is that several types of creeps are released in the same wave, but this makes the micro requirements much worse.

Tower Defense by Roman has potential. I felt the version I played was unbalanced. Upgrades are superlinear, so you tend to upgrade rather than build. Two types of towers could cover almost the entire path, which is boring, The super tower requires $23000 to build and upgrade, and I couldn't come close to getting the last $15k. This game would be much mroe interesting if the parameters were tweaked.

Tower Defense (not the above), oddly enough, does not feel like a tower defense game to me. The path is straight and short. There are chapters, but if you lose in chapter 2, you go back to the start of chapter 1, and part of the task is guessing what will be thrown at you when. I like the resource system, though.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Tower defense games

They have all been posted

Edit: with the exception of a couple (maybe)
Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have all been posted

Edit: with the exception of a couple (maybe)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. I did search before posting, but perhaps I messed up the search parameters.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 AM

anybody tried the downloadable TD?

is it worth it?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DtD Tower defense (download) ground almost to a halt while displaying graphics which would have been bad in 1990. It has some nice ideas which should be handed over to a real programmer. I quit in my first game.

[/ QUOTE ]
The graphics are intended to be that way, simple.
If you are experincing speed problems, try pressing 'G' to turn off the smoke coming from the gas towers, there is a bug I never got around to fixing.
What's wrong with my programming? The game works fine!

This is a independently developed game, it was made by 1 person with a few others doing things like graphics and music. If you want flashy graphics then go buy a game.

Also, the speed problem might just be your computer just sucks. Game Maker (the program used to create this game) has always been known for slowing down on some computers. Just because I never optimized my game to run perfectly on all computers doesn't mean it isn't good.

Furthermore, this was my first try at making a publicly released game, if you don't like it just live with it.

@Other users
Just because pzhon didn't like my game, or his computer sucks too much to run it smoothly doesn't mean it won't play good for you, or you won't enjoy it. Please try DtD Tower Defense.

~DtD
Creator of DtD Tower Defense and owner of DtD Software
Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The graphics are intended to be that way, simple.
If you are experincing speed problems, try pressing 'G' to turn off the smoke coming from the gas towers, there is a bug I never got around to fixing.
What's wrong with my programming? The game works fine!

This is a independently developed game, it was made by 1 person with a few others doing things like graphics and music. If you want flashy graphics then go buy a game.

Also, the speed problem might just be your computer just sucks. Game Maker (the program used to create this game) has always been known for slowing down on some computers. Just because I never optimized my game to run perfectly on all computers doesn't mean it isn't good.

Furthermore, this was my first try at making a publicly released game, if you don't like it just live with it.

@Other users
Just because pzhon didn't like my game, or his computer sucks too much to run it smoothly doesn't mean it won't play good for you, or you won't enjoy it. Please try DtD Tower Defense.

~DtD
Creator of DtD Tower Defense and owner of DtD Software

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I just being completely paranoid here or is there actually something wrong with this poster?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM

What do you mean? I joined so I could post and try to reddeem my game's name, what's wrong with that?

~DtD
Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 PM

Desktop Tower Defence > all.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 AM

Hey DtD!

I, too, joined just to redeem his game's name (and to mention my own). DtD is one of the games that inspired me to make my own tower defense game (http://immortaldefense.com) so it's certainly a good game. DtD's is the best free downloadable TD game (mine being the best shareware downloadable TD game ^_^).

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]