Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Default SSHE starting hands table question

I am confused about a statement in the "Tight games tables on page 80-81 of SSHE" in late position. "Same guidelines that you would use from early and middle position against a raise, except that if three players have entered the pot so far ( the raiser and at least two callers), also call with any pocket pair and QJs thru T9s"

If there are not three players we fold? Please be specific in stating the hands, I have written them in many combo's that just don't seem to make sense
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: SSHE starting hands table question

I interpret it that way (i.e., fold QJs if only two people
have put money in so far).

I think the tables on pages 80-84 could be better.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:20 AM

You need at least 3 ppl in the pot to give you the odds to call (and encourage the blinds to see the flop). The sooted connectors like, multi-way pots because they'll often make nut str8's, and the flushes may be good to.

When a pot has many players in, hands like AKo are comparatively weakened as you generally need 2 pair or better to win the pot.

But you may have to play tigher, if you have a "Revenge Raiser" behind you (or a maniacal limp/re-raiser), who'll ensure a 3 or 4 bet pot.

As you gain more experience, you'll start figuring out how to use the "guidelines" to vary your play, rather than play by rote.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Ok, lets try Loose Table, Late position, pg 83, under the heading "if there is no raise", SSHE says "If at least four people have entered the pot in front of you". Is that for all the hands above the statement and all those hands regress one step ie. 88 is raise if 4 players and a call if 3 players in pot? and K8s drops from a call to a fold when you go from 4 players to 3 players?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:51 PM

I think you guys are analyzing this too much. These books give you advice and guidance, but what to do in specific situations depends upon circumstances. 88 is a good hand if nobody re-raises you, but if you are re-raised, beware. In a multi-way pot, hope for a set otherwise fold as there are so many overcards that can beat you. Kxs is worthwhile playing only if you can get in cheaply.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
books give you advice and guidance, but what to do in specific situations depends upon circumstances

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Come over/back to Micro-Stakes-Limit, post and learn. as long as you arent thin-skinned and can handle experienced posters giving it to you straight then youll do fine.

honestly, ive read SSHE lots of times but most of that was spent on the POSTFLOP sections. Bottom line is that after a while you learn to play the situation and not 100% by the book. Oh and SSHE even says that on the 2+2 forums people spend too much time arguing about preflop decisions when postflop is money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Aussie, I am playing/learning and am alright, I am winning at microstakes and do not have to many questions. I do hand reviews and am happy with what I see. I jump around in SSHE and end many times I end up at the tables about starting hands and I think I finally figured out what the table was saying, it was just poorly stated. Just trying to get confirmation on the text.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:15 AM

Aussie, maybe the question should be simpler. If all things were equal would you rather play 88 in late position if the pot were raised in front of you and there 3 limpers or 6 limpers?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 AM

sparky, good stuff...it is also good that you are working on your game and asking questions. I didnt want to come across as belittling. far from it, just want to say that you shouldnt worry too much if you think it is a close decision preflop....just be careful about not spewing or getting married to marginal hands postflop.

Oh and 6 limpers obviously...except with 6 limpers there are 2 options to consider and folding isnt one of them.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:53 AM

Aussie, good answer! In this game many situations are counter intuitive. One could think that with less limpers you were more likely to win the pot. I know that by playing the game one learns about real situations but one is influenced by what has happened to them when they get certain results over a short haul. If I always raise big suited broadways preflop and lose most of the time I will be very cautious playing them in the future but it will be the wrong choice based on knowing that these hands are winners in the long run. I guess if there are 6 limpers in the 88 hand and you think you are ahead you should raise or you could say there are lots of bets in the pot now, lets see what develops on the flop, you do have position. Probably the difference is very small and in this situation neither choice is much of a leak.