Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: JJ overpair in a family pot

Been thinking about this hand.

Either you have faith that JJ has some high pair value and raise away, or you acknowledge that against a large field it has little value other than for trips. In which case you do not cap pre-flop and probably fold if you miss the flop.

In this example, to cap pre-flop (as many posters suggest) when it's clear you will face 6+ opponents, then just call this turn seems inconsistent. You could barely have a better board. You want it to be drawey so you get bets, but safe. You have no overcards (yet), no flush (yet) and only the whiff of a strait. All you really fear is trips and you have a re-draw if you are behind. You have to raise turn (which is my preference) or not cap pre-flop and probably fold the flop.

Please correct me.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Preflop: I actually going to to say don't cap but then I played around with poker stove a bit and you can put me into the cap group.

Flop: Just call. You can't possibly protect your hand in this huge pot plus your equity goes way up if a good call falls on the turn (and then you would raise).

Turn: That's a pretty good turn. Put in your raise. As played I'd call down unless there is a lot of action.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I figured I should've raised the turn, but I wonder what pre-flop capping would effect as people would call anyways.

Here's the whole HH:

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.05/$0.1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (20SB, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (16BB, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (28BB, 6 players)
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO is all-in $0.04</font>, Button folds, SB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 30BB
<font color="#ffffff">SB shows Th Ad </font>
<font color="#ffffff">MP1 doesnt show 7d Qd </font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows Jd Js </font>
<font color="#ffffff">MP3 doesnt show Ks Ah </font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO doesnt show Qs Jc </font>
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Don't post results. They don't matter.

Then, cap preflop, and raise turn. PPl donking flop and turn usually have some tp kind of hand. CO's raise shouldn't worry you too much as he's going all-in anyway. Bet river. Any T will call you.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 AM

I missed that CO was shortstacked. As played, reraise the turn for value.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I wonder what pre-flop capping would effect as people would call anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

It gives you a bigger pot when you ahve the best hand.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured I should've raised the turn, but I wonder what pre-flop capping would effect as people would call anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
You likely have the best hand and an equity edge, so capping is for value, not to drive people out (anyone folding would be good, too, since anyone folding in a pot that big for one more bet is making a mistake).