Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 06:36 PM

Default First 1000 hands

I've been playing in $0.05/0.10 Limit on WPEX now for over a month with pretty good results and am winning at a rate of 3.25 BB/hour. I play like S&K teach in SSHE and have a VPIP of 21.2 and a PFR of 6.3 but am definitely still a rookie. In reviewing my hand histories I see that I am a winner with AA thru AJs and AJo but am behind with my big pairs. KK and QQ are losers for me, I have win rates of 33% for KK, and 50% for QQ but am a slight loser with these hands. The sample size is small I know but I am still surprised, I am going to sit down and review all these hands asap and think that I am just not slowing down when the board gets scary, but just not sure. Any suggestions out there about what to look for or is my sample just to small?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: First 1000 hands

1000 hands doesn't mean anything. You are not raising enough pre-flop. You need to read the FAQ and respond to other people's hands. See if your line is poo poo'd or not, see what the consensus line is, see if you understand that line and why you agree with it or not.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM

welcome. yes 1000 hands is way too small. some people play that many hands in a session.

oh and your winrate over 1k for any particular starting hand could be anything. Do the maths and work out on average how many KK and QQ you get dealt in that time. Just review individual hands and try and spot errors.

oh and if your stats are 21/6.3 over say 10k hands you probably arent playing as SSHE intended but thats ok as long as you are prepared to read and reread that book until its covers fall off. it can take quite a while to understand it.

it is worth saying though that this is a reasonable starting point...you will see alot of players with a lot worse stats than you. goodluck. I recommend...post a few hands, reply to alot more, do session reviews, rinse repeat profit
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Also, for now, your vpip is likely too high. When I started out and had -- as you obv. don't -- no idea about position play etc. I had a vpip of 14-17. Tighten up. But that's all just crystal-balling. Post hands.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 PM

I agree with the PFR number being low but I am following guidelines in SSHE. The table never has 6-8 people taking the flop so I play it as a tight table. When it gets looser I play and raise more starting hands but still it stays low. Some sessions are up around 20% PFR but avg is 6%. For KK and QQ I had 100% PFR
Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 PM

Your pfr will get higher. Don't worry about that yet. What you should worry about is, that your ratio pfr/vpip doesn't match. When I started out, I played at 17/8 which is fairly tight. Now I'm at 23/15 or so, which is a bit looser, but still reasonable for the stakes I'm playing.

Generally, you should have that at a good, "healthy" relationship. What that means en detail is a bit too complicated for this late an hour, but let's just say 50/40 isn't healthy, just as 20/2 isn't. So try to aim for something in between.

If you stop open-limping 89s from MP, you'll get a your vpip down by probably 2% right then and there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 PM

if I followed the charts verbatim I would probably have a VPIP 16-18 (I dont see many 40%+ VPIP tables) and PFR 7-8%.....but remember the charts are great starting point but remember that you will eventually need to learn to adjust aka 'take off the training wheels'...but first you gotta get the basics down pat.

also we know nothing really of your postflop play (your aggression factors for flop/turn/river should be in the 2-3 range) and that is harder to learn. For now, it is fine for you to just play as u are 'as SSHE suggests' preflop and work on those postflop skills for at least 10k hands.

heres a tip: playing the micro tables is all about value betting. there are way more value bets than protection bets.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Even though 6% seems a bit low it should not really be of any concern to you. Continuung to play after the SSH chart, rereading the book over and over again and working on optimizing your game will surely help you much than starting to raise more without really knowing when and why just to fit some statistics which aren't really meaningful anyway with these few hands played.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 PM

I don't have my own stats but I used to find high pairs difficult. I guess I still do but am at least now making money on them. Key is knowing when to fold them. By nature they rarely improve after after the flop so consider your reverse implieds carefully before continuing.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM

I just flatulated 1k hands and I was running at 166BB/100... sustainable?