Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: stop bagging on microsoft about the rumored xbox 360 update

<font color="green">Also, those upgrades you mentioned aren't that big of a deal. If you have an xbox you know how loud it can be. If they released a 'slimmer' xbox 360 I wouldn't give a [censored]. But them releasing a quieter one is a pretty big deal to me.</font>

i think it's nuts to suggest that a backlight isn't a monstrous deal for a game boy. i think anyone who suffered with worm lights would understand. i actually bought a tv output hardware mod to sidestep the issue, and later a soldered internal light. also, ever spend 10 minutes trying to find the perfect partial insert for a nes cart? i'd prefer loudness to being unable to see or load my games.

[/ QUOTE ]
My comment didn't apply to all of the systemw, I suppose, as I do agree with you about the gameboy. I just wanted to differentiate between essential upgrades to the system and minor changes and cosmetic differences, such as a slimmer ps2. I think the fan noise is a huge flaw to the system and I will definitely consider selling my current one and getting the upgrade.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid discussion because these upgrades are predictable, but people are allowed to be mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes has a thread where he states he bought a wii and wants to buy a ps3, but refuses to buy an 360 due in part to thinking "it is a dirtball move Microsoft is going to make a 2nd verison of the 360". pittm's recent xbox 360 update thread is packed full of vitriolic comments from various people. the issue isn't that frustration is unjustified, it's that it's dumb to single out microsoft for a rumored update while simultaneously supporting manufacturers that have veritably done the same or "worse" several times over.

timing matters when it comes to buying stuff, and early adopters can end up paying a price for the ability to actually use the product while everybody else thinks about it. and there's always going to be a cutoff point between updates where it's a less optimal time to buy. price changes can help, but the only true "fix" i can see would be to cease development. it's like poker, people bitch about the river constantly. if we remove it, they'll bitch about the turn.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid discussion because these upgrades are predictable, but people are allowed to be mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes has a thread where he states he bought a wii and wants to buy a ps3, but refuses to buy an 360 due in part to thinking "it is a dirtball move Microsoft is going to make a 2nd verison of the 360". pittm's recent xbox 360 update thread is packed full of vitriolic comments from various people. the issue isn't that frustration is unjustified, it's that it's dumb to single out microsoft for a rumored update while simultaneously supporting manufacturers that have veritably done the same or "worse" several times over.

timing matters when it comes to buying stuff, and early adopters can end up paying a price for the ability to actually use the product while everybody else thinks about it. and there's always going to be a cutoff point between updates where it's a less optimal time to buy. price changes can help, but the only true "fix" i can see would be to cease development. it's like poker, people bitch about the river constantly. if we remove it, they'll bitch about the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like I just rambled on about something totally unrelated to what you were initially saying as I agree with everything you just said.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Consoles are not supposed to be like computers. You are not supposed to have to worry about a newer and better one coming out later. If you buy it at launch, you have it period. This isnt making it slimmer or making it top loading, this is offering a substantially better machine that launch and early buyers would have been interested in. I guess so many people are used to being [censored] over by companies, now that its starting up in video games people dont care, and even defend it. Between this and micro-transactions, video games are heading down a very bad path.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consoles are not supposed to be like computers. You are not supposed to have to worry about a newer and better one coming out later. If you buy it at launch, you have it period. This isnt making it slimmer or making it top loading, this is offering a substantially better machine that launch and early buyers would have been interested in. I guess so many people are used to being [censored] over by companies, now that its starting up in video games people dont care, and even defend it. Between this and micro-transactions, video games are heading down a very bad path.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was like computers and games three years from now won't run on old systems you would have a point. non of the changes are going to effect gameplay so the initial customers are in no way getting screwed.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 PM

I guess you missed the point. While this system does not change gameplay it does offer ALOT of big time upgrades that early buyers and launchers would have wanted. The very people that helped make sure they had a succesful launch do not have a real opportunity to get this system without buying the system all over again.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM

i bought the 360 on release, and this "upgraded" 360 does not bother me one bit. don't see why people are complaining, wah wah boo hoo
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While this system does not change gameplay it does offer ALOT of big time upgrades that early buyers and launchers would have wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think mass-produced 65nm cpus and 120gb 2.5" hard drives existed when 360s were being initially manufactured. component is the lowest common hdtv denominator, and it still supports 1080p. unless the noise is killing you, i don't see what the big deal is. a hard drive upgrade kit will probably be released. but supposing you've just gotta have the new one used premiums are selling on ebay for $300+. so there's most of the cost. if the "advantage" given to those that waited to purchase isn't offset by the fact that you got to play yours for 1.5 years, why did you buy it in the first place?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While this system does not change gameplay it does offer ALOT of big time upgrades that early buyers and launchers would have wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think mass-produced 65nm cpus and 120gb 2.5" hard drives existed when 360s were being initially manufactured. component is the lowest common hdtv denominator, and it still supports 1080p. unless the noise is killing you, i don't see what the big deal is. a hard drive upgrade kit will probably be released. but supposing you've just gotta have the new one used premiums are selling on ebay for $300+. so there's most of the cost. if the "advantage" given to those that waited to purchase isn't offset by the fact that you got to play yours for 1.5 years, why did you buy it in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

you gotta own the system to be credible when you bitch and moan [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Yeah, I think the hate is sort of weird too. I would be more surprised if companies didn't offer upgrade than if they did. If this sort of thing pisses you off then you may as well wait for 2-3 years after the system comes out in case they upgrade it. When I want something I get it, if they upgrade it and I want the upgraded one then I get it. I wanted a DS Lite because the regular DS was too big for pocket usage and killed my wrists to hold for more than an hour or so. When the slim PS2 came out I didn't care so I didn't get one. The 360 is a bit noisy which is annoying, but I don't know anything about this fancy HD crap, I just have a box with pictures and colors that I've had for a long time that works fine, so the upgraded 360 isn't interesting to me.