Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: My saturday/sunday breakfast, with pics!!

[ QUOTE ]
would be better with sausage

[/ QUOTE ]

sacrilege.

Repent now.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Great post! It looks really tasty. OTOH, I'm now embarrassed about what I thought was MY wonderful specialty recipe.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm eating Del Taco from last night that I got while drunk driving.

It's pretty delicious too. Mosty cause eating it reminds me I made it back without getting a DUI/killing many people.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:47 PM

Noah,

I addressed the egg issue. I should at least give it a try, though. I only have one egg left, so I'm stuck with one for this morning.

Lazy,

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pretty similar ritual nearly every weekday. 3 to 4 slices of bacon go into the pan, after they are halfway cooked I crack an egg inbetween them and the let the bacon and the egg finish at the same time, add salt and pepper and use toast or an english muffin to make the sandwich. Sometimes I add hunks of cheddar but I find it just adds to the grease and the flavor of the cheese is overpowered anyway. When i'm really hungry I add a hamburger patty and BBQ sauce.

For me, If I'm walking five blocks somewhere, I'm paying someone else to cook my breakfast. Maybe you just like having a morning walk anyway. Also, my method uses only one pan, so less cleanup. And you should be saving your excess bacon grease in the freezer, not patting it away on paper towels, that stuff has a million uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do I begin?... your post sort of blew my mind. Are you flash frying your bacon or something? When your bacon is half way done, there should be a fair amount of grease in the pan. If you crack an egg into it, won't it just float in the grease and get sorta gross? And how does your bacon and egg finish at the same time? Your bacon should have at LEAST another five minutes to go, probably more. Eggs never take that long.

Re: the walk. I enjoy it. And driving five blocks is sorta sick (not that I've never done it). And cleaning the second pan is a non-issue.

Re: storing bacon fat. I just poor it down the drain.. how bad is that? I don't cook a ton, so I think I would end up with a LOT of bacon fat.

adsman,

You're welcome.

AEKD,

I've heard of the mayo and eggs thing, and I just can't see myself going for it. I'm also generally against veggies on breakfast sandwiches, but I could see a single slice of tomato working pretty nicely. It wouldn't be my norm, but it might be nice to mix it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: keeping the egg tight. Don't listen to Eidal. Well you can, it probably works, but using butter defeats the purpose of greasing the pan in bacon fat. And I've never cooked an egg that hot before. Sounds like a guaranteed way to ruin the yolk.

Just make sure your pan is fully heated before dropping the egg. I usually cook an egg somewhere between medium and low (gas stove). When you drop the egg, drop it slowly. The egg will begin to cook as it hits the pan to form a nice base. Just don't rush it and it should be fine. When you're done dropping the egg, use the spatula to maintain the edges. There shouldn't be too much to maintain if done right, and it will only take a second if the pan is the right temp.

Doug,

Maybe some really good sausage would be worth a shot, but I doubt it'd be better. I LOVE sausage, but I really think the bacon works best here.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would be better with sausage

[/ QUOTE ]

Might as well go with both. Throw some ham on there too for good measure. You might take a few days off your life but it'll be worth it.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Baked bacon is better.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I give you the blueberry waffle sausage sandwich (yes, there's sausage in there):

Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 PM

mmmm. that looks good.

My weekend ritual is to get up with my daughter usually on Sunday mornings and make waffles (Saturday my wife lets me sleep in because Friday is my poker nite. If it's not montly home game, I play 1/2 NL live).

Anyway, I got this badass waffle iron for my wife last year. She actually doesn't use it much now, because she's on a diet:

Then my daughter (4) and I make waffles. The key is split the eggs into yolks and whites. First I beat the whites, put them aside and at the end, fold them softly into the batter. This makes 'em light and fluffy. My daughter has a blast "helping" me, we usually cook bacon (I get the smoked pepper-covered bacon, whis really good), and we completely trash the kitchen. as a bonus, we have waffle batter for a few days.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Looks and sounds good.... Guess your not concerned with Calories or Cholesterol...
Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM

I'm eating something very similar to this right now. I throw 3-4 slices of honey ham and 3 slices of salami in a frying pan. While those fry I cook three eggs, leaving the yolks fairly runny. When the eggs are almost done I put 2 slices of extra sharp cheddar on top of them to melt it. All of this goes on a croissant.

Borodogs creation looks amazing, I am definitely making that next weekend.