Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Default what is going on, india?!

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/DEL8022.htm

NEW DELHI, Nov 6 (Reuters) - Nearly two-thirds of young Indian men expect the woman they marry to be a virgin, but nearly half have had sex with prostitutes, according to a poll.

The survey of more than 2,500 men aged between 16 and 25 conducted by India Today magazine across 11 cities found that 49 percent claimed to have had sex with a sex worker while 37 percent said they had had a homosexual experience.

But 63 percent of young men in conservative India said they expected the women they married to be a virgin.

The average age of their first sexual encounter appears to be falling -- to 18 years from 23 in a similar survey two years ago, but condom use is on the rise, the report said. More than half of the men surveyed said they always used a condom.

Fourteen percent of those surveyed said they had had sex with a member of their own family.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: what is going on, india?!

wow. that is pretty [censored] up. The homosexual experiences and the incest numbers seem unreal.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:18 PM

yeah I dunno if thats a credible source but im too lazy to click the link so idk
Old 01-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Hm interesting. Im currently in india, and i see guys walking while holding each others hands or arm around shoulders. We were told it was just a cultural difference... but maybe they are all gay?

Also, i drove past the mumbai red light district a few months ago... i really hope this isnt where 50% of the india guys are going, cause it was a real nasty [censored] hole of an area. You'd probably contract a disease just for stepping out of your car. While we were driving by, our taxi driver told us: "they look good, but they are... um.. not so fresh.. you know?"
Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
49 percent claimed to have had sex with a sex worker while 37 percent said they had had a homosexual experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[ QUOTE ]

Fourteen percent of those surveyed said they had had sex with a member of their own family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah. I am also assuming 37% of the incestual relationships are homosexual.

-Al
Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 PM

Hopefully the reporter was talking in english and they just said yes to everything not knowing what they were saying. Otherwise thats pretty messed up
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I dunno if thats a credible source but im too lazy to click the link so idk

Hopefully the reporter was talking in english and they just said yes to everything not knowing what they were saying. Otherwise thats pretty messed up

[/ QUOTE ]

alertnet.org is owned by reuters, and the cited source is india today magazine ("the most widely read newsweekly in southeast asia") via reuters.

i really doubt there was anybody asking questions in english. it looks like it came from the november 13th issue's cover story, "men in a muddle":

"Often hypocritical, sexually smug, quietly homoerotic, the single young urban male is surprisingly standard."
Old 01-05-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, most educated Indians speak English pretty damn well.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:25 AM

Being gay is a huge "forbidden fruit" so to speak, sort of thing with Indians. Lots are on the down-low. They'll live completely heterosexual lives, on the surface, just to maintain propriety and acceptance. I know a father and son who are both like that.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what they say: If you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in your family.