Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Minraises by decent players- dangerous?!!

I hope this isnt spam and i can get some good discussion/ opinions on this. as iv'e read through and answered hands tonight i've realised that i am extremely concerned by MINRAISES. i know they are often just how fish bet- however, my question is:

if a known solid/ tricky player minraises you - should you be;
a)not scared at all
b)As scared as a decent pot sized raise
c) more scared

i know this could be highly read dependant or influenced by the board texture- however.. I practically only use min raises when i have the near nuts. Thus, i tend to assume that if a good player minraises me- he is milking and/ or trapping.

Please share your thoughts.

ps. minimise the abuse if this some gigantic donk problem
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Minraises by decent players- dangerous?!!

was considering posting this in beginners but i honestly don't think it belongs there and thought i could get some quality answers from ssnl posters.

mods move if you disagree though
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 AM

A lot of SSNL games feature min raises which really annoy me. If I have a halfway decent hand like TPTK, I am reraising all day and then folding to an overpush.

It also depends on board texture obv, some ppl like to do this with draws. Also, you need to consider how large the min raise is. Assume $100 NL. If the pot is $3 on the flop, and you bet 2 and get minraised to 4, it is obv totally different to having b/3b preflop with a pot of $22, you bet $20 on the flop and get minraised to $40. The second situation should worry you/delight you a whole lot more than the first.

Also consider stack sizes and how much you both have left behind. If the min raise doesn't leave him with much behind, then he obv just wants to get the dosh in the middle. If you are both more deepstacked, he may feel you have more folding equity and is just trying a cheap steal.

In general, min-raises = annoying, but we just have to learn to deal with them.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of SSNL games feature min raises which really annoy me. If I have a halfway decent hand like TPTK, I am reraising all day and then folding to an overpush.

It also depends on board texture obv, some ppl like to do this with draws. Also, you need to consider how large the min raise is. Assume $100 NL. If the pot is $3 on the flop, and you bet 2 and get minraised to 4, it is obv totally different to having b/3b preflop with a pot of $22, you bet $20 on the flop and get minraised to $40. The second situation should worry you/delight you a whole lot more than the first.
Also consider stack sizes and how much you both have left behind. If the min raise doesn't leave him with much behind, then he obv just wants to get the dosh in the middle. If you are both more deepstacked, he may feel you have more folding equity and is just trying a cheap steal.

In general, min-raises = annoying, but we just have to learn to deal with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

forgot to mention this part. yep i am definately refering to the second kind- larger min raises- ones that are like over 10-20 BBS.
ALSO forgot to mention- i am generally (not absolutely though) refering to post-flop.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Assuming 100 BB stack sizes, I will usually call the minraise on drawy boards and lead a safe turn. On dry boards it depends on my reads on villain.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Order of scariness:
1) Check/Min raise on turn (almost always signifies strong hand)
2) Min raise in position on turn
3) Check/Min raise on flop
4) Min raise on river (depends on image of hero)
5) Min raise in position on flop can be large range of hands (draws and made hands)

These minraises I see the most often, and I feel like I have a better read on them.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:29 PM

From my experience, most of the time these min-raises represent a set because the person wants to raise, but thinks raising more will make the other guy fold.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 PM

does anyone ever use a turn or river minraise to bluff ?

why/ why not?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone ever use a turn or river minraise to bluff ?

why/ why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do that sometimes on the river if I think Villain has nothing, but I'm not sure my nothing is better.

I got called a lot by crappy bottom pair, so it's not very effective.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 AM

anyone else minraise bluff ?

it can certainly be effective i think if a flush draw is completed on the river and villain is holding a pair. im equally scared of a smaller value bet after a draw is completed as a large bet..

at the lower levels i think alot of players associate bluffs just with large river bets. on the flipside, bad players will consider that its a small price to pay to"see what he's got"