Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Learning to windsurf/kiteboard?

The surfing thread made me post this.

I'm going to Asia soon and I really want to learn how to windsurf and kiteboard. I'm willing to drop like a grand to spend 3 weeks learning how to do both (a grand over there is like 30 million bucks or something). Will I be able to get decent then? If I can just stand up, cruise around, and not die I consider that decent btw.

I'm probably going here http://windsurf-vietnam.com/ by the way. It looks pretty rad.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Learning to windsurf/kiteboard?

Hmm, windsurfing might take you say ~3 days to be good enough to stand on the board and move a few metres. Are you fairly co-ordinated?

From what I hear, kitesurfing would take say 3-4 days, but I've never done that so I don't really know
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I guess I'm coordinated enough? I used to sail a ton when I was a kid and I surf a lot, so I have that going for me.

Kitesurfing looks insane, I really have no idea if I'll be good at it or if I'm going to die
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 PM

A friend of mine bought 2 windsurfing boards last summer, and I've been going out about every other week with him to do it. It's hard to learn, and I still suck but it's very fun.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm coordinated enough? I used to sail a ton when I was a kid and I surf a lot, so I have that going for me.

Kitesurfing looks insane, I really have no idea if I'll be good at it or if I'm going to die

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you've sailed before will help a lot for windsurfing
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM

I thought so. I figure all it is is sailing and surfing, and I can do both of those.

However, I can't fly a kite [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Ribsauce,

I can say with total confidence that after a few days of windsurfing you will be more "decent" than you can imagine.

I teach windsurfing on the Outer Banks of NC and many of my students who have never sailed at all (on a sailboat) and who are not coordinated nor athletic almost always are sailing back and forth and not falling in too much after just 2 hours.

The spot you linked to looks awesome for learning and progressing and with the top of the line equipment that they have you should be ripping in no time.

Kiteboarding you will find will be a little more challenging initially to learn the basics and to get going. But it is much easier to become an advanced kiteboarder than an advanced windsurfer (sailing in the waves etc..). Windsurfing=easier to learn the basics, more difficult to progress to advanced stages,
Kitesurfing=a bit harder to initially master, but easier to progress to advanced level,

After a week of either/both you will be hooked and will definetly have a blast. Have fun.

hope this helps and makes sense
Old 08-10-2006, 11:25 PM

if there is any decent amount of wind you must learn to water start. most beginners dont for awile and get stuck out in the water as the wind will yank the sailaway from you or you wont be able to haul it up.
when i went to aruba to sail i couldnt water start very well and they had to come out and get me a few times. so i fixed that.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 AM

waarior, I sent you a PM about teaching on the outer banks. I almost took lessons there last time. I went to Canadian Hole and watched it while eating lunch and decided I had to learn. Thanks for your post. If I get good I'll be down there a lot windsurfing next summer, esp if I live in Nags Head

Ray,

Is water starting when you can't touch the ground and have to force your way up?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 AM

yea in deep water. you have your feet on the board the sail up out of the water and holding the boom. force it to catch the wind and the sail pulls you up out of the water and off you go.
other wise in deep water if you go down you have to stand up and try to haul the sail out of the water. with a short board you must do water starts and are in trouble in light winds.
i have sails sized from 3.2 to 8 for differnt winds. where i go its never consistent.