Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 AM

Default 2 Pair vs Flush Draw After the Flop - 0.25- 0.50c Shorthanded !

first of all, gday everyone - my first post, i've been lurking for a while though.

I was playing a huge 7 hour session and 'twas going great that day but started slowing a bit around 3:30 AM.

I am playing 6 handed .25-.5 NL at PokerTime. i've been at my table for about an hour and the table is not quite tight but not extremeley loose either. pretty average for a shorthanded game. the only player reads i have don't affect this hand. the villain is a decent player from what i can tell he hasn't made any slip ups and is playing a reasonable amount of hands for 6 person. i would say tight aggressive but i dont know if anyone really plays shorthanded 'tight'

I am in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain to the left of me UTG limps, 3 people fold and (either button limps or SB completes) and I check.

So no raises preflop.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2 pair, awesome. I checked, UTG to my left raised about $4 or $5, button folds and I raised double to about $8.

*Although he limped and did not raise for some reason I was positive that villain had a higher ace - either A 7-K (but not jack) or was on a flush draw including the Ace of clubs. I really did not believe for one second in this shorthanded game that he would have limped with any ace stronger than maybe A7. Anyway, back to action…

Villain re-raises all in.

*OKKK. so I am abit confused. He covers my $65 or so- so I am abit hesitant gambling on what I think is the flush draw. $60 bucks for the chance of no clubs coming out- that is basically what I am scared of at the moment. However, I then start convincing myself that he has AT, AQ or AK. (Probably pretty shocking reads to you guys reading it now, but at the time I was fairly confident that is what he was holding to re-raise so strongly. He either thought he had my ace beat or he wanted to scare me off my ace and protect his flush draw.)

Time was ticking down,s o I called all-in – Pot size around $120 or so with turn and river to come.

I would like to know how everyone would have played this-

-would you make the call or insta-fold?

-would you gamble on the flush draw?

-would you be wary of AJ, JJ, 44, AA ?

-Is there anything particularly wrong with my thinking and reads?

thanks for taking the time to respond guys, i will post the interesting result in a few hours...
Old 07-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: 2 Pair vs Flush Draw After the Flop - 0.25- 0.50c Shorthanded !

tl;dr. Please don't ever min-raise
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM

hehe thank you for reminding me. that was another tiny piece of information i forgot to include, i also considered his huge raise of about $50 as a strong play--> weak hand situation. he had previously Re-raised me or someone else at the table after they min raised.

in defence of my minraise, when i did it, i was 1000 % sure i was ahead and wanted to milk as much as i could. this of course changed afterwards
Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM

I would lead the flop.
and I wouldn't min raise.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM

as it turned out, i was digging myself into a very very deep hole anyway.

Turn came K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and X [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - giving a 1 card flush which i did not have.

when the cards were shown i was kind of suprised and also not really- He had the Aclubs for the nut flush and his kicker was a Jack... giving him a higher 2 pair from the get-go anyways

I got absolutely pwned.

what do you guys think about my call given my (slightly off) reads ? i really thought i made the right decsion at the time but obviously it didnt turn out so well...

did i make some large mistake in this hand ( either raising his flop bet or calling his all-in re-raise) ?