Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
Sheesh, this must be what a politics thread is like. I feel dirty and felt a rush of blood to the head when I was contributing to it.

I know I've made my case ad nauseum and have others. Now we're beating a dead horse and nobody seems to have convinced anyone of anything so we should move on (although at least CMI came in with some last minute actual research). I'm not surprised to hear The View is a culprit though, since that show sucks balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq, I agree,and I apologize to any and all that I made personal attacks against or insulted in the course of the thread. It ain't no thang ya know? I'm ready to let this die, as the opposite ends of the spectrum will never convince one another it appears. It reminds me of the gun control debates pvn, boro, et al would have with MiDge.

Pirate,when I said you weren't using your brain I was trying to imply that you were using your heart, and emotion moreso than reason.I wasn't trying to imply you were stupid, so plz dont take it like that.

Truce? But one final thing before I go. It appears that many here have a fundamental lack of certain bedrock criminological principles. Laws are in place NOT just to punish offenders, that is but a means to an end. The end is to reduce crime. So if a law is shown to not be effective at significantly reducing the targeted crime the result shouldn't be to simply make it tougher in hopes that it does it's job. The result should be to find different ways of combating said crime. The theory is that if punishment is swift and certain then it should be sufficient to curtail the negative behavior. But if it doesn't it's time for the laws to become smarter, not just harsher.

Good day,
MuresanForDUI
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BAC Calc thingy:

http://www.insure.com/articles/carin...alculator.html

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet! I can drink way more than I originally thought I could and still drive.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really wish this thread had turned out to be about how OP is dealing with his time before he gets shipped to prison...as opposed to a retarded, overdone debate on drunk driving

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread has really gotten spectacularly awful.
Please ban everyone who has posted in it or even read it or even saw the subject-line. They are all ruined for life.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BAC Calc thingy:

http://www.insure.com/articles/carin...alculator.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid calculator only goes up to 9 beers [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently I was wrong on what I heard about how much it takes to get you to .08

Here's a blood-alcohol calculator I found:

http://dryspace.org/bac-calculator.htm

But it's kind of weird.
It says I can have 4 drinks in 1 hour and I'm still legal.
But if I have 5 drinks in 2 hours then I'm over 0.8.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF and this one just goes up to 12. Where can I find a calculator that will go up to a case?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM

I hope you learn something while you are there. 3 DUIS, some of them aggravated (you shouldn't have been driving, even sober), definitely deserve this sentence, if just to have you off the roads.

What's the difference between a drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who makes it home and falls asleep and the drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who head-on's a family on the way home from visiting their grandparents?

Just luck.

Therefore I don't think whether an accident even occurred should be relevant - it's like blindfolding yourself, twirling around, and firing a bullet in a mostly empty city street. Most of the time you'll miss, but occasionally you'll hit someone. Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

I say you deserve your 2.5 years, not because penalties like this scare others into not DUI-ing, but because you being off the road is safer for the rest of us.

Do what you want with your friends and other consensual people, but don't play Russian roulette with uninvolved parties by stepping behind the wheel of a vehical you can't properly control.

edit: And yeah, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were somehow still a competent driver while drunk.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least the politards listen (somewhat) to reason

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololololololol

on like 3 levels.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are other things governments can do, aside from simply making the laws more draconian, that can reduce alcohol-related accidents and deaths. Like making mass-transit (cabs,etc) easily accessible and cheap. I already linked a politics thread about that, I guess its safe to assume nobody read it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely agree that this would be a hugely beneficial thing to do. In Japan teenagers can buy alcohol very easily and the reason people don't care is that those teenagers won't be driving home--they'll be taking the subway or walking. Unfortunately the geography and infrastructure of the United States makes it impossible to have such an effective public transportation system here.

As to your other paragraph, come on man you know better than to invoke such a slippery slope argument. FWIW I'm in favor of legalization of weed, but I would also be in favor of comparably harsh driving while high laws.

Bottom line is driving is an inherently very dangerous activity, and somehow most people don't realize that (or at least act as if they don't). They have to be kept in line because they will do genuinely retarded [censored] while driving, and I'm in favor of that because it protects me.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you learn something while you are there. 3 DUIS, some of them aggravated (you shouldn't have been driving, even sober), definitely deserve this sentence, if just to have you off the roads.

What's the difference between a drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who makes it home and falls asleep and the drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who head-on's a family on the way home from visiting their grandparents?

Just luck.

Therefore I don't think whether an accident even occurred should be relevant - it's like blindfolding yourself, twirling around, and firing a bullet in a mostly empty city street. Most of the time you'll miss, but occasionally you'll hit someone. Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

I say you deserve your 2.5 years, not because penalties like this scare others into not DUI-ing, but because you being off the road is safer for the rest of us.

Do what you want with your friends and other consensual people, but don't play Russian roulette with uninvolved parties by stepping behind the wheel of a vehical you can't properly control.

edit: And yeah, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were somehow still a competent driver while drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT. The arguments against this guy being locked up are simply mind-boggling.

It's OBVIOUS this guy simply will not/has not changed, and I'm pretty sure after the second time getting caught (cuz let's face it, I'm sure we're all aware you didn't JUST do this 3 times and get caught every time), you were made aware of the possible consequences and you still didn't give a [censored].

How else is society going to keep the rest of the public safe when people like you are indifferent to the laws made to protect people???
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT. The arguments against this guy being locked up are simply mind-boggling.

It's OBVIOUS this guy simply will not/has not changed, and I'm pretty sure after the second time getting caught (cuz let's face it, I'm sure we're all aware you didn't JUST do this 3 times and get caught every time), you were made aware of the possible consequences and you still didn't give a [censored].

How else is society going to keep the rest of the public safe when people like you are indifferent to the laws made to protect people???

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT /thread